Sunday, November 28, 2010

Quad Dipsea

So, the 2010 Quad Dipsea is in the books. And for the first time in a while, I'm pretty stoked with my race result. Finished in 6:14; a 34 minute improvement versus last year (editor's note: I had no business being out there last year - I was completely undertrained).

This year, my strategy was to have a good solid race while leaving something in the tank for the North Face 50 next week. I think I accomplished my mission, through my legs are pretty thrashed.

My strategy was to power the uphills (and with 9200 feet of climbing over 29 miles, there are a lot of uphills) and run the downhills hard. My first two legs went fair - had some congestion in my chest that I was dealing with - but my third went great. And the fourth, as always, was a grind. I debated going for sub six similar to my boy Payro (who had an AWESOME race, going 5:53) but in the end (middle, actually) decided to take my foot off the throttle and aim for sub 6:20 instead.

So, I'm stoked, especially considering how incredibly tough this course is. It is literally one gigantic, endless climb and descent (there are no flat sections).

Anyway, one down, one to go.

No comments: