Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Five Year Anniversary

I talk a bit about my own bout with cancer but as many of you know, The Wife is a cancer survivor too, and today marks the fifth anniversary of her surgery for cervical cancer. Congrats, Wife, on this milestone, who's one tough lady. This day five years ago was one of the roughest days of both our lives. Without question, her diagnosis was tougher on me than my own. One memory I will never forget from that day was my boy Billy Z walking into the waiting room at the hospital, completely unannounced, and sitting with me for the duration of her three hour surgery. It was one of the nicest things anyone has ever done for me. So, thanks for that Diamond, if you are out there. And please leave a shout out for The Wife in comments if you would; I think she'd appreciate that.

That's about it for tonight. I had a 13 hour day in San Diego (where the weather was 80 degrees and freaking perfect; per usual and am shelled. Think I might also be coming down with something from all this freaking marathon training. More tomorrow.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We love to celebrate anniversaries but this one for your wife is great. I hope anyone who is a survivor knows what it is like to say I'm OK. It was a one year BC anniversary for me recently.

Anonymous said...

The five year anniversary is significant -- all the best to your wife.

Crazymamaof6 said...

FIVE YEARS! THAT IS AWESOME! WHOOHOOOHOOOHOOOHOOHOOHOO! so awesome! CONGRATS TO HER! and you, and your kids!

what a great friend. to come sit with you. it's great to not have to wait it out alone. worried.

i want to hear your wife's story.
i think i've mentioned it before,
and yet i haven't written my own. just snippets, but mostly i like to avoid too many thoughts about it.
plus it freaks my blog readers out. but maybe i could use a little cervical cancer story to me freak out enough to make a non pregnant visit to the DR. so if she's up to it, or if you wanna fill me in on the basics, please do. email is great.

Anonymous said...

go april!

Unknown said...

Congrats April!!

Anonymous said...

Great milestone April, congratulations. I remember being with that damn husband of yours in Baltimore when he/we found out about your cancer. What a screwy weekend that was, but what a great outcome in the end.

And hey Nana, congratulations to you as well. May you join my mother as a 35 year breast cancer survivor

Anonymous said...

amen to all the previous good vibes.gs

Anonymous said...

Love you, April.
Penny

Unknown said...

yay wifey! sexy wifey!! let's celebrate life w/a big ole steak dinner :)