Thursday, October 30, 2008

Living

Everyone has the experienced the moment or time in place where they really feel like they are living. Or at least I hope they have. For some, it might be the thrill of skydiving. Maybe it's the thrill of high stakes poker. For others it might be watching their favorite team. I had one such moment earlier tonight. There I was standing on the track, running 2000 and 1000 meter repeats and sucking wind beyond belief. I'm standing there in the pitch black, not another human being in site wondering what in the hell I was doing -- when it started pouring rain (editors note: first rain in about six months). I just started laughing -- and ran another few laps. I couldn't help but smile; I was completely and utterly miserable but at the same time, there's no place I rather would have been.

(That said, enjoying a glass of scotch and watching The Office, which is what I am doing right now, is a pretty darn close second.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

chills...

Anonymous said...

mine came when you were born. of course i was at home sleeping when the dr. called. no reason for both mom and me to be "uncomfortable" in the hospital.gs

Anonymous said...

This morning I had 6am masters swimming in an outdoor 50m olympic pool in the dark, surrounded by fragrant evergreens, in view of the mountains, with light to medium rain falling the entire time. Air temp was 65 degrees, water 72 or so.

It was perfect.

Anonymous said...

We awake every morning and watch the red sun rise over the Adirondack mountains and the steam coming off the lake it is a sight not to be missed. We all experience some moment of joy and I have to admit the birth of our first grandchild was so special "your son". Hopefully, we will have more soon.