Tuesday, October 21, 2008

One Cool Dude

When I was traveling last Wednesday on a most insufferable flight from Chicago to Albany (replete with three hour delay) I started reading my new issue of UltaRunning. The guy next to me turned and said "UltraRunning. Cool." When your seat mate says something to that effect, you're off and running. Turns out this guy was formerly both an ex ski pro and an ex mountain bike pro who currently lives in Park City, Utah. He regaled me literally for hours with stories of racing against Lance, Dave Wiens and other legends of cycling; he told me stories of getting lost after dark while mountain biking and having to sleep out in the wilderness; he told me stories of riding 240 freaking miles in a single 24 hour solo race. 240 miles on trails! That is incomprehensible!

Simply put, he was one gnarly dude.

He now has a dream job; he is director of sales for Rocky Mountain bikes. Coincidentally, I own a Rocky Mountain mountain bike, so we chatted about that for oh, about another two hours or so. He was travelling around the country visiting "accounts" (read: bike shops) and was showing his 09 line up ("showing" petty much consisting of taking clients out on epic rides on beautiful terrain).

Now, I love my job and all - I really do -- but man oh man, was I jealous when I got off the plane. There truly is something to be said about marrying your passion with your job and in this instance, I've never seen a better example.

I know what you might be thinking "Yeah, but does he really make any money?"

My answer: who freaking cares. To live in Park City, ride mountain bikes across killer terrain virtually every ay and then incorporate that into your work life? There's only one way to describe that.

Word.

Good on you, Cool Mountain Biking Dude from Park City ( I never did catch his name). Maybe in my next life........

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

sounds like a pretty great flight. very cool.

Anonymous said...

skied at the Canyons in Park City this past February. some of THE best snow in the country.

I second the jealousy.

Anonymous said...

I don't think April would want the shopping budget cut in half. Better work hard and like your job, you don't have to love it!!!!!! We miss you guys and hope to see you soon

The fisher's:)

Anonymous said...

You didn't catch his name, H?? What's up with that??? We want to talk to cool mountain bike dude from Park City!
xo