Monday, April 4, 2011

Rawhide Down

I've been on a reading tear this year and just finished Rawhide Down, which chronicles all events that occurred on the day that Ronald Reagan was shot thirty years ago. I'll never forget that day, by the way - I was home sick from school and heard the news break on the radio while in the car with my mother.

Though you know how this story ends, it is an absolutely riveting read - it reads as fast and furiously as a Clancy novel. I finished it in just two days.

Two things that particularly struck me: Reagan's bravery throughout the course of that fateful day and John Hinkley's utter insanity. I'm convinced that he should never be considered for parole. Not after the devastation that he caused not just the Reagan family, but the families of the three others who were shot that day.

Anyway, if you are looking for a fascinating and fast read, this fits the bill. Next up, I think is 56!, a look at Joe DiMaggio's legendary 56 gamer hitting streak, and what it meant at the time to a country that was getting ready for war.

If anyone has other recommendations, please let me know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

do you read while you run? are you sure you have a job? just asking. gs