Friday, February 13, 2009

Metabolism and Getting Old

Those of you who know me know that I am skinny as a rail. I've been that way my entire life. When I was a kid I was so skinny that I'd charge kid's at the local community pool a nickel to see my heart beat through my chest. That's a true story by the way. My father can back me up on that one.

For the past several years I've been trying like mad to gain weight (I know, an enviable problem) to no avail whatsoever. No matter what I did, my weight hovered between 145-148. I found it virtually impossible to break 150, which was long my goal. About six months ago, however, I felt like my metabolism came to a screeching halt. A few years ago I remember my cousin Saul telling me that the same thing happened to him when he was in his early 40's and I now understand what he meant. It's a hard feeling to describe but I looked down one day and noticed that I had a mini belly. Nothing that anyone would notice, mind you, but to me, it's almost like my body was taking on a different composition. Anyway, I weighed myself earlier today and was really surprised to see that I was 156. That's a pretty seismic leap for me and it comes at a point in time where my metabolism should still be stoked from the high volume of training I've been doing the past few months. I suspect that if I was sedentary, I'd be upwards of 160, which is somewhat unimagineable. The other side of this might be that my synthroid is too low, though I don't think this is the case.

So, the net net of this little tale? Between this and my rapid hair loss, It's pretty rough growing old. Guess it happens to the best of us.

Anyway, on a different note we are off to Hawaii in the morning. I've been so incredibly busy at work I haven't been all that psyched, but now that I know it's supposed to storm for a week straight in the Bay Area (which isn't necessarily a bad thing; we really, really need the rain) I've getting pretty excited. Look forward to a lot of swimming with the kids, surfing, running and visiting sundy tourist destinations such as Pearl Harbor. I'll have the laptop in hand and will be sure to post photos. You can also follow the "action" at Twitter: I'm Howardsol.

Have a great week, all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoy hawaii. rob