Tuesday, February 17, 2009

More Hawaii

Another lovely day in Hawaii (there's no such thing as a bad day in this place. They haven't had a bad day since Pearl Harbor). I had to work more than I would have liked, but that's the way it goes, particularly in this economy. Beyond work, we went on two hikes, including a fantastic one in Waimea Valley, which is a very popular North Shore destination. We hiked around for about a mile until we came to an enormous waterfall. The Kids and I jumped in and swam to the waterfall, which was pretty fun (water was cold, but fn all the same).

On the way home we noticed that there was a big surf contest (actually, it was body boarding) at Pipeline, which is arguably the best surf spot in the world. If you have seen Blue crush (one of my all-time favorites), many surf scenes were at shot at Pipeline. It is also home to Pipeline Masters, one of the biggest competitions on the surf tour. We stuck around and watched the competition for about a half hour and it was very cool. The waves were absolutely enormous. Breatakingly enormous at times. At that. we drove up North to a hoe int he wall local spot and got some Ahi Poke (marinated raw tuna, Maui onions over rice). It is my new favorite dish in the world. I think I have eaten fish every day -- if not two times every day. My idea of a perfect meal is a simple grilled fish with a side of white rice and fresh vegetables. I find that if I eat that for five or six days in a row, I start to feel remarkably healthy.

Anyway, that's it for today. Fairly active day. Tomorrow is more hanging out and Thursday we're headed to Pearl Harbor. I will be sure to post pictures.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Blue Crush? That's the one with the hot chick who was the new Lois Lane, right?