Sunday, September 12, 2010

A New Trend in Running?

Two weeks ago if you will remember was the Skinnyman 50k, a race that was put on by Todd and myself. Unbenownst to us, we have been on a trend.

On Thursday, I was invited to participate in the third annual RLJ 50k/30k run. This is a run put on by a bunch of buddies, that has grown to about 25 runners. The race founders rent a house in Stinson Beach and everyone meets up there first for coffee, comraderie and to review the race maps. We all walked outside -- and started running. Afterwards, we all met up at the house for beers and bbq. Theiur were also t-shirts and beer mugs for all participants.

So, basically the same concept as Skinnyman, only slightly larger in size.

After years of running assorted organized trail and road races, I am loving these new, unsupported types of race. I think they particularly embody the spirit of trail running.

In regards to the running itself, I felt absolutely ... horrible. Not sure what was up - could have been I am not fully recovered from my 50k two weeks ago, but man did I feel lousy, in every sense of the word. It was hot, too, which could have been a factor.

Regardless, it was fun being out there with Coach Phil. I'm hoping that I can find a similar type of "race" some time soon.

No comments: