Monday, September 27, 2010

Sports

Tis the busy season in professional and collegiate sports. The big thing right now in our household has been the Yankees late season swoon. The Little Boy and I are on the verge of a full on freakout, despite the fact that the Yankees are almost assured of a playoff spot. Incredible how their pitching has utterly failed them - including our one constant, Mariano Rivera. The problem with the Yanks as I see it is that after CC, we have a significant drop off. Hughes has faltered during the backstretch (probably due to too many innings) and Burnett has been an utter bust. I think our season is going to come down to whether Pettite regains his mid season form. Not feeling all that good right now; hopefully they will quickly get it together.

In regards to football, my Michigan squad is without question as exciting as hell. I think Denard Robinson is - and will remain - the most exciting player in college football. However, the problem is that games are won and lost based on defense, and ours is non-existent. Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the back end of the season unfolds. Regardless of how we do over the long haul, however, I think we are seeing enough snapshots of the future to say that Coach Rodriguez has bought himself more time. Deservedly so, too, in my opinion.

And lastly, my Jets. They looked awesome these past two weeks and it's nice to see Sanchez starting to develop. They are a good, aggressive team, but I confess to not loving their style. I didn't think their decision to star in Hard Knocks was a wise one (though the show certainly was interesting) and I'm not enormously impressed by their bluster, or in the case of Braylon Edwards, their off the field behavior. They've set the bar pretty high for themselves; it will be interesting to see if they can deliver.

No comments: