Tuesday, October 4, 2011

iPhone 4S

Well, unless you live under a rock you know that iPhone 4s was unveiled today. And I for one am stoked. Super stoked, actually. And of course, I will be getting one on the first day of availability. I wouldn't want to mess with my four year streak.

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why people are upset that an iPhone 5 wasn't introduced today. Either they are misinformed.or idiots. The iPhone 4 is a near perfect design so I'm not sure why Apple would want to change that. We'll probably see a design iteration next time around (iPhone 5) which will likely be when LTE is fully built out. My guess is that next-generation phone will probably feature a slightly larger screen in consideration of faster download speeds. 

But right now, the iPhone 4 design is just fine and there is an entire ecosystem of accessories already available. And anyway, what counts is under the hood. And from that standpoint, iPhone 4s is absolutely, without question a new device. Speed aside, I am most excited about the camera. As a father, I'm constantly taking pictures and videos, so any improvement on that front is a welcome one. I think Siri is cool - the demo was mind blowing, but I'm looking forward to checking it out for myself in real-life conditions (i.e. a noisy street, restaurant). I suspect it might be one of those features that looks cool but doesn't get much use, ala Facetime.

Anyway, I can't wait to place my pre-order on Friday. Anyone else planning to do the same? Anyone have any other thoughts?

No comments: