Wednesday, December 28, 2011

CrossFit

I know - I've gotten hurt pretty severely at CrossFit. I suspect it might not even be the last injury I get there either; my form and flexibility are both terrible, which is a recipe for disaster.

But that being said, it might arguably be the most addictive thing I've ever done in my endurance career and that includes a seven year addiction to triathlon.

For the sake of brevity, I'll distill it down to the three point which matter most to me:

- variety. It's rare that you do the same workout twice. I love going to class not knowing what the hour will bring. Some days it is a strength workout; others, more cardio. One thing they have in common: they will make you work.

- strength. I've never been strong. Sure, I can run, swim and long ago, bike for long periods of time, but that's all cardio. My limiting factor has been strength. In just three months, CrossFit is starting to change that. Granted, I'll never be mistaken for a 70's era Arnold, but I've noticed a big difference in the first 90 days and I think it will translate to making me a stronger runner (if and when my hip ever heals).

- time. The class I've been going to most is 5:45 am. I'm home, having coffee before the family is awake and I'm done with my workout for the day and haven't interfered with work/family. Something to be said about that.

Anyway, I don't man to be a walking billboard for CrossFit; there are some things I'm not crazy about which I will save for another post (because I am dashing off .. to CrossFit). But the reason why I wrote on this subject is that I know this is the time of the year when people are considering their goals for the upcoming year. If you are intent on improving your health/fitness, I strongly urge you to at least give CrossFit consideration. I promise you will see results - quickly.


No comments: