Monday, December 26, 2011

New York Jets and Coach Ryan

I'm not as passionate about the NFL as I am about college football. There's only so much time one can devote to football on a weekend. But my NFL team is and always has been the New York Jets.

Like other Jets fans, I was initially charmed by Coach Ryan. I thought he was indeed just what that team needed; fiery, controversial, unafraid and funny. The team seemed to respond in kind too, going to the AFC championship game the past two years.

But this year, the team has stepped backwards and in the process, how act is starting to wear very thin. Virtually every move he made building up to this past weekend's game with the Giants backfired in a big way. To me, covering up the Giants super bowl trophies was the last straw in bombast and stupidity. I come from the Michigan school of coaching and Coach Ryan's way is the antithesis of the Michigan way.

For me it comes down to this. He is starting to do to me what Isaiah Thomas did for the Knicks; turn me off from them completely for years, to the point where I was rooting against them simply so he would get fired.  I suspect my sentiment might be true for others out there as well.

Still time to reverse course a bit Coach Ryan. Let's see how smart you really are.


No comments: