Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Vacation Books

Read two great books while on vacation. The first was Turn Right at Machu Piccu. What a great read; it was a travelogue in which the author re-created in its entirety Hiram Bingham's journey to discovering Machu Piccu in 1911. It was an excellent and entertaining read. MP has long been on my list of places to visit and this book helped seal the deal. Only thing is if/when i go, I'm only doing the four day hike in. No chance of taking the train. Not sure if my kids are up for a four day hike so it might be a few years. Anyone out there care to join us?

The other book chronicled Joe DiMaggio's 56 game hitting streak, and what that streak meant to the nation as it prepared to enter World War II. It too was a great read and truly captured a bygone era. Of all the records in sports, I think that's the one that will never be touched.

Also put a good end in the Steve Jobs book. That one is proving slower going than anticipated; probably because I'm familiar with most aspects of that story.

Anyway, I'm on the market for something new. Any other recommendations out there?


No comments: