Sunday, March 1, 2009

Shout out to a New Friend in Chicago

I just got off the phone with a friend of a friend who was just last week diagnosed with thyroid cancer. There are incredible parallels between the two of us: same age, same industry, same position. It's amazing we hadn't previously met one another as he lives in Chicago. One big difference: he has a genetic predisposition towards thyroid cancer. His mother had it when she was younger.

We spoke for an hour and that conversation really took me back in time. It was only less than three years ago for me, but it really seems like yesterday. He sounds like a great guy and with three young kids in tow, I know how much he's freaking. Like most of us thyroid cancer survivors, I am sure he's going to be fine, but there's no doubt he has a pretty trying year in front of him. In a weird way, it felt good to talk about it and I hope I was helpful.

Anyway, please throw out good vibes to me new Chicago friend, who'll I refer to as "G". In fact, if you would, please send a shout out to him in the comments section, and I'll direct him to this site when we connect next. I'm sure he'd appreciate it greatly, as would I.

3 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

Good Luck G- sending you some good vibes for kicking Thyroid Cancer's A$$!~

it will be a long exhausting and sometimes lonely ride. but knowing you aren't the only one on it helps. others before you have ridden the beast and won!

Anonymous said...

thoughts are with you, G. I'm in Chicago too, so know you have some support you haven't even met in the city...

Anonymous said...

Best wishes, G -- I am coming up on my first anniversary of my thyroidectomy for thyroid cancer. I remember those early days well, it's scary....but you will get through it! --Gail