Monday, September 19, 2011

Courage!

I'm really stoked on the Little Boy of late. After a bit of cajoling on our part, he decided to do the Fall swimming program with the Little Girl.

That might not sound like much, but in his case, it is. He isn't the world's greatest swimmer, he's swimming with kids/peers who are far more advanced than him (many of whom have been swimming upwards of six years already) and he's swimming alongside a younger sister who happens to be a superstar at this sport.

But he went for it - and I think that's something that took great courage on his part. As his dad, I'm spectacularly proud of him. A lot of kids would have understandably resisted.

Now here is the kicker. He's proving to be really good - and he's improving by leaps and bounds every week. I swam laps with the two of them yesterday and I was literally astonished by his improvement. If he keeps at it like this, I very well might have two stars.

But even if that scenario doesn't come to pass, its the effort that counts and in this case, he's made a great one. If you're reading this, Little Boy, which I think you might be these days, I'm very, very proud of you.

That said - keep at it. I suspect your hard work will be rewarded. If it hasn't been to an extent already.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

good going z. all of us on east coast are proud of you. gs

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Z! I'm sure you'll be breaking pool records in no time. With your stamina, I see you as a 500-free record-breaking machine!

-TB

Anonymous said...

Proud of you z

Rob

nana said...

I see another Ironman in the family/did you read te new Ironman Book?