Sunday, June 10, 2007

And That Was That




Wow. Not exactly sure what to make of The Last Episode: it was so unexpected (in a less than dramatic manner, I might add) that I think I need a night to process it. I will say, though, that the last five minutes was very interesting. I thought for sure Tony was going to get whacked in front of the entire family. Perhaps he did; I guess we'll never know for sure. More on this later and feel free to weigh in with your thoughts.

I'm about 10 minutes into John from Cinci. We'll see if this one makes the cut. Little too quirky for my taste.

Beautiful weekend here in in Marin, CA weather and action wise; a few representative photos are attached. Things kicked off on Friday with Summer's graduation from nursery school; it was pretty darn cute. Yesterday's highlight was the Colt's season ending game. Z man ended the season in fine fashion, going 4-4 though he unfortunately failed in his season-long effort to squeeze a hit past the pitcher. What can I say though -- he tried hard, took it seriously and had a lot of fun in the process. Can't ask for more than that. Following is a picture of Z and a few of his fans, who surprised him a colorfully adorned "Go Zevan" sign. He was more excited about his fan base than the game itself.

Z went on a trip with a friend today so we took Summer on a brief hike on one of our favorite trails in Tiburon. This one features unbeatable views; it looks straight into San Francisco on one side, and the Bay and San Quentin prison on the other. Alas, our bucolic family hike was shortened by my hike-resistant daughter, who had the line of the weekend, "I'm going to die of walking." Classic.

Training wise, did an 1 hour 15 gnarly ass trail run yesterday morning fromTennessee Valley straight up Coastal Coast trail. It's one of the toughest trail runs out here and all in all, I felt pretty good. Swam a little over 2 miles this morning at my Sunday am master's swim followed by a 3.5 mile trail run and think I am finally rounding into half decent shape. I'm hoping Dr. Clark gives the no surgery word on Wednesday so that I can salvage a season.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am having to digest this as well because there were many interesting messages.

My read is that the scene with the daughter having trouble parking the car is a metephor for them having trouble bringing the series to an end (in addition to being a good way to create tension with the viewer in a scene that pays homage to the Godfather).

But, in the end we were the ones that got whacked. Right when the music says "Don't Stop".... POW, it all goes blank. Ater all these years of seeing people taken out suddenly without seeing it coming, it just happened to us.

Anonymous said...

Interesting interpretation, Jeff. It was definitely an exciting five minutes; it was the first time that you could *really* feel what it was like to be Tony. 100 pecentagree with the homage to the Godfather. THat was a pretty artful setup

Anonymous said...

Absent of Tony being whacked himself, there is no way to "end" the show. His victory in the battle with Phil was only one of many he has had over the life of the show and the next conflict from inside his crew, from New York, or the Feds is just around the corner. I think the ending was pretty cool as it showed that danger lurks everywhere and that he can never rest and never be truly at peace. I will admit that I thought my DVR missed the end until the credits rolled. David Chase is an evil genius.

Anonymous said...

best
ending
ever

Anonymous said...

my reaction;it was post-mature ejaculation. all the next day quaterbacking: almost makes you long for paris hilton,s late night antics.