Wednesday, June 13, 2007

No Surgery; More Radiation

Just got back from Dr. Clark and I nailed this one 100 percent; it's exactly what I expected and I almost posted by prediction last night -- in fact, I started to type the words, but then decided I didn't want to potentially jinx myself.

Good news: no surgery. We know definitively that there's something in there but it's small enough to be undetectable by the MRI, CAP and PET scans, all of which came back negative. So .. that's good. I just bought myself a triathlon/running "season."

Bad news: there's no getting around one more big radiation treatment. This will hopefully eradicate everything in the neck and prove once and for all that the hip is indeed clean. I won't bore you with all the details re: the hip and we'll never know whether it was in fact cancer or a false positive but man has it proven to be a pain in the ass.

Anyway, that's that. Radiation will probably be a 100 milicures, which is slightly less than the 150 dose I had back in September. I will have to go through hypo/diet hell one more time and I will need to go into isolation for 72-96 hours. The family will once again need to clear out fo the house. But now I get to live blog with minute-by-minut updates!

So, the radiation sucks but such is life. You do what ya gotta do as they say.

So .... that's it; about as expected. I wouldn't exactly categorize it as "good" news because my November and December will be an immense hassle, but in looking at the flip side, I guess it could be worse.

5 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

congrats! radiation is way better than surgery!

Michael said...

okay, dude, one more treatment and it is behind you. now get in serious shape.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like "good" news to me! But in reference to your last post, what's a "fred?"

Anonymous said...

technically, 2 more treatment, wiley; one treatment one scan dose. THat said, the 50 miler is ON mofo!

Finkel -- hit the link, dude!

Anonymous said...

OK, now that I know what a Fred is, I would say no, you would not be a Fred. Is there a term for really skinny guy who doesn't ride very fast? Maybe a "Howard?" (Sorry to comment on the wrong post)