Monday, June 11, 2007

Good Deeds

I'm not a terribly religious person (though given my circumstances, perhaps I should be giving this more consideration), though I would say that I come from a "traditional" Jewish background.

Despite being a somewhat lapsed Jew, there's a certain tenet in Judaism that has long resonated with me on a personal level; the concept of performing daily mitzvot. Regardless of whether you are Jewish or not, I suggest taking a look at this link; it is relevant to everyone on this planet, regardless of race, religion or creed.

The simplified version is this (actually, I'm not sure if what I am about to write is in fact the "technical" description. Instead, consider it my own personal interpretation) is that everyone should strive to perform frequent good deeds for others for reasons that have nothing to do with personal gain. You should make an effort to occasionally do something good simply to help make the world a slightly better place. Maybe you help someone you don't know who's out of a job with networking; maybe you help an old lady cross the street. Both are perfectly good examples of mitzvah's.

I've tried my best to abide by this code but since my diagnosis I believe I've been a tad too self absorbed and haven't made it the priority in my life that I have in the past. So, with this in mind I've been making an effort of late to keep this top of mind both at home and at work.

I'm not even remotely spiritual but I'm a big believer in karma and in the concept that what comes around, goes around. It takes minimal effort and time to help someone else in need and you have to think that in the end, the universe has an uncanny way of settling all debts.

Anyway, that's my diatribe for the evening and that's about as "heavy" as you'll see me get on these pages. Tomorrow I'm sure I'll be writing about very important subjects such as the Soprano's, Big Love and the lack of good television during the summer months.

That said, I suggest that you give this concept a real life whirl.

In fact, start today.

No comments: