Monday, June 16, 2008

We Are Alive




Well, I must say -- that was fun. A heck of a lot of fun. Not sure if I would do it again tomorow, but overall, a very good time was had by all; most especially the Kids.

Before I go on, a big huge shout out to our friends the Grant's and Christensen's, for helping carry the day. Lord knows I was in over my head and we would not have survived (literally) a day without their assistance. Man, my old man (you still there, Old Man?) did me no favors by being a city father. I don't think I even knew the concept of camping existed until post college, and it definitely shows. I tried my best to help out wherever possible (i.e. taking out the garbage and cleaning dishes) but my knowledge of cooking, tent pitching, etc. is, umm, limited - very limited - at best.

But it was asolid good time and in as beautiful a location as you could imagine, nestled underneath giant Redwoods. We hung out a lot, the kids road their bikes endlessly, we went to a swimming hole, we ate (very well I might add), the dad's went on a run/bike, we knocked back a few beers, we played Liar's Dice (my favorite game of all time; I am obsessed) packed up and we went home.

Highlight: it's very relaxing and a true getaway from the everyday grind. In that sense it was much needed. And as mentined, the kids had the time of their life. If you asked them their highlight, it would probably involve their love of dirt. The Wife took one look at them when we got home, made them disrobe by the front door and marched them directly into the bath. The Girl in particular was about as dirty as one could imagine.

Downside: all things being equal, I definitely prefer the comfort of my own mattress. The notion of sleeping in a tent is awesome, but less awesome when you discover at 3 am that your air mattress has a slow leak. Night two fared better though and it was fun snuggling with the kids.

Anyway, a very memorable trip indeed. A few pictures for your viewing pleasure.

3 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

i sounded as spectacular as camping is. awesome fun for the kids. way to go. they can never say you never took them camping. WHOOHOO for that.

Anonymous said...

you vant to be a camper? join the army. gs

Anonymous said...

or the boy scouts ...