Friday, June 6, 2008

Ya Never Know

Sometimes good things happen when you least expect it. Tonight, I was contemplating a post-work swim and instead decided to bag it go out to dinner with some friends after baseball practice. We went to this surf motif restaurant and wouldn't you know they were hosting an event that feautured big wave/Mavericks surfer Grant Washburn, who was debuting his new movie on Mavericks. The wives were super cool and allowed my friend Mark and I to stay to check out the movie, and in the process I got to meet a number of area surfers/surfer shop owners (my buddy is a big time surfer and pretty dialed into the community).

I love to watch/talk/listen to surfers but am not a surfer myself. That said, I love -- am almost obsessed by -- sub cultures and the surf community in certain respects is very similarto the ultra running community: very inclusive, a bit eccentric and very passionate about their sport. Anyway, it was a very cool and memorable evening that I won't soon forget; much more memorable than a swim. There's a good lesson there somewhere.

On a completely different note, I am currently watching Man vs. Wild. I don't really care much that Bear has "cheated" in the past; this show freaking rules.

No comments: