Monday, October 26, 2009

World Series: We're Headed to NYC

When I was a little boy of 11, my Old Man took me to a 1977 World Series game. It remains today one the greatest memories of my childhood. 

the evening that my son was born, October 21 1999, he and I sat on a rocker and watched a World Series game together. He was not but 10 hours old. I explained to him Derek Jeter and Paul O'Neill and promised that one day we would be Yankee fans together, forever. Strangely, he didn't even peep the few innings that I held him. I'm convinced today that he was listening to the Game.

When I went through the cancer thing a few years back, I did a bit of soul searching and made a bucket list of sorts - a list of things that I needed to do before I died.

One of the things on my list was to cultivate my son into being a Yankees fan -- and take him to the World Series, similiar to what my father did for me more than 30 years ago. I accomplished the first part three years ago; as you probably know from these pages, my son is a raving Yankees fan. So mission accomplished there. And now the Yankees are going to the World Series. 

And guess what -  so are me and my Little Boy. And to be honest, I am not sure who's more excited. Probably him, but only by a hair.

It's costing an arm and a leg and it's going to turn me inside out from a travel perspective but you know, you only live once. And money is fleeting while memories are forever. So screw it -- we're going to the World Series. We'll be in NYC for less than 24 hours and it will probably take a few days to recover and of course there's no guarantee that the Yankees will win, but regardless, there's nowhere else my Little Boy and I would rather be.

Let's Go Yankees.

Posted via email from Howard Solomon

5 comments:

gailaj said...

Go for it! My rabid-Yankees-fan son will be doing his best to make them win, so hopefully that will work in your favor...(his "favorite" number is 2...)

Anonymous said...

think of it. if i had not taken you to the game look at all the money you could have saved on your upcoming trip. which one of you kept needing to go to bathroom every reggie got up to hit.?gs

quirken said...

this story epitomizes one of the reasons I check this blog almost every day. This, and your spot on coverage of electronic readers.

Great story, How. Good for you guys.
nq

Crazymamaof6 said...

TOTALLY AWESOME! have the time of your lives! making memories is what it's all about!

Michael said...

This is awesome. I can't wait to do this as well. Max needs a couple more years under his belt though.