Friday, February 17, 2012

New York, NY

Well, back from New YOrk. What a killer of a week.

This post may not be the most popular in the world, but I have to say it: I can't help but think that NYC is a tad bit overrated.

I can say this because I am and always will be a New Yorker. I get it: restaurants like no other place, culture, theater, the City that never sleeps, blah, blah, blah. But still.

I walked each day about nine blocks to and from my hotel to my office. Over the course of 2 1/2 days, I'm really not sure I saw one happy person. Saw plenty that looked and acted miserable. Saw plenty that were yelling at others for no good reason whatsoever. And the old excuse that that's "New Yorkers being New Yorkers" just doesn't cut it in my book. More often than not, it's an asshole being an asshole. There is something to be said about civilized behavior.

The other thing: constant honking of car horns and drivers yelling at one another. I know this because I heard it all night from my hotel room. What's the point of this? It just causes unnecessary stress. In California we do not use the car horn unless it is necessary. It took me a long time to get my head around this, but now it's welcomed. If you think I am making this up, pay attention during your next trip here; it's uncanny.

Also - the weather. It was pissing light rain the entire time (granted, it's winter and a seemingly mild one at that on the East Coast). But I'm home now and it's a beautiful, breezy 65 degrees.

Again, I love NYC. It's the home of my Yankees, Knicks, Jets and my family. It can be fun as hell, for sure. I lived the most fun years of my life there. But - it ain't all that.

It just isn't.




1 comment:

Nana said...

One thing you forgot was guess how much we pay in Taxes? Don't even go there. We do have a great lake we appreciate. In the summer time.