Wednesday, August 29, 2012

9/11 Memorial

One of the things I was able to do while in New York was quickly visit the 9/11 Memorial. Suffice to say, it is a pretty powerful experience in so many different respects. The sadness is tempered slightly by the site of the emerging Freedom Tower, which is absolutely inspiring. Seeing it is one of those moments where you are proud to be an American.

I was also able to pay respects to three friends who perished in 9/11.

Pete Kellerman was my buddy Dave's best friend from college (Tulane). I hung out with Pete a ton while we both lived in New York. He was a character and a great, spectacularly fun guy.

Steve Goldstein was my freshmen orientation roommate at Michigan. He was a fellow Jersey boy and we really bonded. We also lived on the same floor in the same dorm. We went our separate ways after freshman year but remained friends and occasionally got together during the Summer. Another great guy.

Melissa Doi worked for me back in my New York days. She was one of these bright, energetic kids who was always smiling. You had a feeling that she was going to change the world.

I miss the three of you and think of you frequently. You are gone but not forgotten.

Rest in peace, Amigos.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful post!

rs

Anonymous said...

well done howie. gs