Monday, August 13, 2012

A Step Back in Time

My boy Wiley left yesterday after visiting for two weeks. I have to say, we had one heck of a good time. For two weeks, we stepped back in time, maybe 20 years or so. I'm not so certain that's sustainable for the long-term, but for a few short, summer months, it was super fun.

We definitely kept ourselves on the move and entertained. On Thursday, we had a great dinner with some buddies at a local drinking establishment and went to local music hall  Sweetwater. Upon departure, at o dark hundred, it was abundantly clear that none of us were getting behind the wheel of a car. We called a cab to no avail, so then called an audible; we were walking home. In the dark. Via the infamous Dipsea trail. Up all 673 steps. Using only moonlight to guide us.

Sounds crazy but was one of the most fun things I've done in a long while. And despite his initial protestations, I believe Wiley would concur.

The next night we went to a Pacifics game (Independent Baseball League) which was super fun. Saturday morning we got up early, went to CrossFit (me, anyway) and headed into San Francisco to meet up with an old friend and for Outside Lands. OL was a bit more crowded and colder than last year, but also fun. We saw Portugal. The Man, Big Boi, a few seconds of Alabama Shakes, The Kills and the absolute highlight of the evening - Metallica. I'm not a huge Metallica fan but man oh man - they are indescribably awesome live. We were both wowed.

After OL we miraculously got out of dodge without last year's problem and headed back to ... Sweetwater, where famous jam band God Iron Wine was playing. Another great show and super long but fun day.

Anyway, Wiley left early yesterday. I went to CrossFit, came home and immediately -- took a nap. I woke up, went to lunch (see attached photo for specific menu), went for an hour swim and then pizza with friends. Despite the fact that I very much miss my family, it was almost a perfect dude's weekend.

Anyway, sorry to see Wiley go. Though my liver strongly feels otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wyle could use a hat too. gs