Saturday, November 3, 2007

Big Sports Day

Today was a big sports day. On top fo the "traditional" sports (baseball, basketball, football) I'm also a huge fan of "alternative" sports as well: running, triathlon, track and field, swimming, etc.

ANyway, big news today was the Men's Olympic Championship qualifier, which was ran in Central Park, my old home course. In A A day that shoul;d have ben a celebration of the emergence of some of our younger runners, Hall (the winner, in 2:09), Dathan Rithzenheim and Brian Sell, was marred by the tragic death of 28 year old emerging star Ryan Shay, who collapsed and died at the six mile mark.

Life really is astonishing: here you have a young, fit runner running to qualify for the Olympics. One moment he is at the start line; less than 45 minutes later he is dead. Thoughts and prayers with his wife and family.

On a brighter note, kudos to my friend Chris Hauth on his 9th place finish at Ironman Florida. I was emailing with him last week and he wanted to go under 9:00 hours; he finished in 8:38. Tyler Stewart, who coached my e-cycling class, finished third in the women's race. In a very strange manner, Tyler may have saved my life. I took her ecycling class and it broke me down physically and I came down with a nasty chest cold; a cold nasty enough that I was compelled to go to the doctor. And it was that visit that they found a bump on my neck. The rest, of course, is history. Anyway, congrats to Tyler on another great race. I am convinced that she is going to one day win Ironman Hawaii.

In the world of more "traditional" sports, Michigan won a nail biter against Michigan State. I have to say, this team is showing a lot of character. But a big showdown looms in two week in Columbus.

In other "sports" news, I ran for a back pain free hour today, which I am excited about, and managed to bike for around 40 minutes with the Little Girl (she has a little bike thing that attaches to my mountain bike which she absolutely loves) . ALso played baseball with the Little Boy for 2 hours. ANd last but certainly not least my first "coached" athlete (more on this in a future post), Nick, ran eleven miles today.

A great Fall sports day iall-around. And on top of all that, it was a picture perfect day her in Marin County: 74 degrees and not a cloud in the sky.

1 comment:

quirken said...

how:

congrats on the back. insane news about shay! I was shocked to hear that news.

Did you watch the marathon on TV? not as dramatic as chicago, not even close, but good tv for runners none the less.

I want to develop a kick like Lel's. He shot ahead of that other guy like he was coming out of a cannon.

ok,
nick