Sunday, November 11, 2007

A Killer Party

We went to an amazing party last night in Tiburon in celebration of a friend's 40th birthday. This party was completely off the hook; maybe the best party we've been to since moving to the Bay Area two-plus years ago.

I won't go into all the details but I think my favorite part, aside from the house, which is brand new and absolutely beautiful, was the bagpipers. The birthday boy is half Scottish, and his wife -- who's an absolute hoot - hired bagpipers to celebrate that part of his heritage.

Despite it being a multi-scotch night, the thing that really struck was meeting two fellow cancer survivor's; one had cancer of the mouth, the other breast cancer. And though I didn't ask, I suspect neither was older than 40. Another reminder that cancer does not discriminate based on age, race, or socioeconomic status. Another observation; there is nothing quite as bonding as meeting another survivor. Even if they are a complete or relative stranger, it's amazing how this shared experience can bring people together.

______________________________________

On a brighter note, after much back and forth, it appears as if we have decided on a 100 miler: details here. So far it's me, Payro, Wiley and I think Phil. Anyway else interested in joining us for our little jaunt? The good news is we all have about a year to get ready.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

put me down as not interested.gs