Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Epic Run: 100 Miler

So, I have been giving some thought as to my 2008 race calender. Every few years, I feel a compelling need to do something "epic." Back in 1999 it was Ironman Lake Placid. In 2002 it was my first ultra, a 50k. In 2004 it was a 50 miler with my man Payro. Since then, I have dealt with a number of distractions (moving from Chicago to SF, dealing with cancer) that have made my goals more modest and less of a priority.

That being said, I am starting to once again feel the call of the wild. I'm thinking there is really only one "biggie" left for me to do: a 100 miler (actually, that's not exactly true. I'd like to swim the English Channel. But we'll save that diatribe for another day).

So, I am officially using this forum to declare that I am in for a 100 miler in 2008 -- anyone care to join (seriously -- I am going to need pacers)?

The only thing that will get in my way is health issues (we'll have a good idea of where I stand next month when I undergo my next battery of tests) or if I get into Ironman Hawaii via lottery, which based on my track record ain't happening. I feel no compulsion whatsoever to do another Ironman -- the training is much too great a commitment for what I am at in life right now -- but I do feel the call of Hawaii.

So, its official -- I'm in. Payro?

Now I just have to go find the right race. Might make sense to break the news to The Wife as well.

It goes without saying that I will also use this as an opportunity to raise funds for ThyCa.

And while I am on the subject of declarations, I will also state that after this race, I plan to officially retire from Endurance sports.

(And if you believe that, I have some great property for you in Brooklyn that I am willing to sell for next to nothing.....)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm in.

Either as a runner, pacer, or handler, TBD. We'll see how the foot is - right now it's still crappy. I think you should go with a late season race, altho Vermont (July) is supposed to be a great beginners race. But there are others later in the year so you (and I) have time to build a good solid base.

Anonymous said...

Atta boy, Kid. Obviously, I think you should be a ruuner, but let's see how the foot holds up.

-hs

quirken said...

Running 100 miles has got to be one of the most insane quests I have heard of in a long time. good luck to you at mile 68 -- only 32 to go! How can you even wrap your head around that? Do you stop to sleep? Gotta figure that is at least 15 hours of running. Change clothes? Go to the bathroom? How do they even create and manage a 100 mile course? Is there some magazine I should be reading with all these answers?

nq

Anonymous said...

if you try the 100 miler can i have your bike?gs

Michael said...

Dude,

I'm in. Dead serious. Training started today.

mw