Monday, November 5, 2007

Music

I've got a serious case of the Monday's which I think it has a lot to do with daylights freaking savings time (which is one thing when the weather stinks, like when we lived in Chicago and is entirely different when the weather is actually pretty darn good). Anyway, nothing that a good trip to Napa (which is where I am headed tomorrow) can't cure. By the way, for those of you that have never been to Napa, it alone is worth the trip to NorCal, even if you aren't a wino.

My father asked me today why I haven't written more on Michigan football. While I am pleasantly surprised by their turnaround -- they have shown a lot of (Mike) Hart -- I refuse to get excited until post Ohio State game. If we lose to OSU again the season is a disaster; if we win, it is salvaged.

Anyway, following is a list of my top ten albums of the year so far. The new Jay Z breaks tomorrow and if it is as good as the early reviews, I can see it being added to the list.

10. Black Kids: This one isn't so much an album but a four song EP but it is amazing. I think the songs are available via download at their Myspace page. Get this one immediately. The only reason it comes in at ten is because it's not a full-fledged album

9. Feist, The Reminder. Not my typical cup of tea, but there is no denying that this is an amazing album. She has an ethereal, gripping voice.

8. Joan as Police Woman. Real catchy and listenable. Gets better each time.

7. Linkin Park, MInutes to Midnight. Maybe not their finest work but I am no longer embarrassed to say that LP rocks and their is NO better music to listen to while running or on the bike.

6. Perry Farrell's Satellite Party. See Linkin Park above and substitute "Perry Farrell" for Linkin Park.

5. Pinback. I am not even sure how to describe this one but it's quickly becoming a favorite.

4. Robert Plant and Alison Kraus. I just picked this up last week and am blown away. This will win Grammy's. Lots of Grammy's.

3. Kanye West, Graduation. Say what you will about Kanye -- and I think he is a bit of a stroke - but he is unquestionably the biggest talent in the world of hip hop. This album gets better with each listen.

2. Eddie Vedder, SOundtrack from Into the Wild. I finally saw the movie on Saturday and was alittle disappointed. Then again, it's 2:30 hours, we went to alate viewing and I was exhausted. That said, I think the soundtrack was better than the movie. This is a classic.

1. Radiohead, In Rainbows. For the record, I am not a Radiohead fanboy. On the contrary: I've always appreciated them, but never really "got" them. That's history, now. This album is utterly brilliant and it will without question endure the test of time. Best album of 2007, hands down.

Others of note that I need to listen to a bit more, but show promise: Akron/Family (Megan, if you are out there you will like this a lot); Devendra Banhart (ditto this); Jens Lekman, Justice and Vampire Weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

losing to #1 team is not as bad as their 1st loss of this season. I would be proud of them if they win next week (wisc.) and then lose to o.u.I never imagined they would come back after their 2 losses and the injuries on top of that.gs

Anonymous said...

i don't want to focus on osu yet. still a week away and wisco would love to screw up our season (though a loss to wisco and a win over osu still sends us to pasadena.) this team has shown a ton of character and pride and leadership from the players AND THE COACHES. look at all the storied programs like notre dame, nebraska, miami, fsu and texas a&m who all rolled over. not michigan. carr and long/hart/henne kept this ship afloat and deserve huge credit for doing so.
henne looked absolutely brady-esque out there against msu (as well as vs the illni.) there are 3 more opportunities to watch hart, henne and long (unfortunately may add manningham to this list) play for michigan. let's enjoy it.

ps - i hope carr stays. did you know he is #3 in the history of the big 10 for all time wins?

Anonymous said...

Smange and I preferred Sonoma and the Carneros when we were out there. Fewer people, smaller hotels.