Saturday, November 10, 2007

Oil Spill

Well, my race was cancelled today as a result of the oil spill, which I presume you all know about. They pulled the race directors permit, as it both started and finished at Stinson Beach State Park, and they closed all the area parks because of the spill. I had a chance to walk to the beach and check out the water. It didn't seem bad but there was someone there from a federal agency (EPA maybe?) who said the level of contamination was very bad. What a bummer. This oil spill is really bad news and I think it is going to have a very significant effect on the marine environment for the entire region.

So, the race was shut down; would have been great to have known about this earlier, as I was out late playing poker and up early but such if life. My coach Phil and I decided to run anyway as the course was marked. I headed up and out and was reminded how tough this course is: the first several miles were literally uphill. It was beautiful though: I think we passed three waterfalls in the first few miles alone.

About ten minutes after we started the rain started coming down in buckets; enough so that I decided to bail and just do the 12k course, with two added on at the end for good measure. All in all a good time, but the trails were pretty slippery and I ended up going down hard two times.

I came home in time to watch Michigan get decimated by Wisconsin. I fear next weekend is going to be even worse.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no dude. a decimated michigan team almost beat a fired up opponent.gs

Anonymous said...

I would say Saturday was a galactically awesome day for football.

Michigan State, won.
Michigan, lost.
Ohio State, lost.
Notre Dame, lost.

Bummer about the oil spill. The news is making it out to be the worst disaster in the history of humanity.

Howard Solomon said...

What game were you watching homie? Decimated or nto we were never in that game for more than 2 minutes and our d -- which was not decimated due to injury -- was the problem, not the offense.