Monday, November 19, 2007

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is without question my favorite holiday and day of the year. I love every aspect to it and wish I could stretch it out to two days.

As part of my own little tradition, I wake up early and try to find some sort of Thanksgiving Day run. This year The Wife, myself and my boy Payro plan to do a local 5k in San Francisco, which we have done together the past few years. Afterwards, wo do the traditional Thanksgiving thing: get a little fire going, put on some NFL on the tube, eat some great food. This year we're having some good friends over (at lat count we expect to have seven or eight kids in the house, which should be interesting) so it should be an extra good time. Not to mention, I've been saving some special bottles of wine for the occasion and have picked up a bottle of the Nectar of the Gods (16 year Lagavullin to be more specific. Matt G, if you are reading this, you are welcome to come back out and enjoy a glass!).

More than all that, though, as a cancer survivor, the word Thanksgiving has truly taken on new meaning for me. This year, I'm thankful to have my health (with a big knock on wood as I am scheduled for a big battery of tests in two weeks) and to have a great family. Not to get all sentimental, but I've learned that is *really* all one needs in life. All the other trappings - money, material possessions, etc. -- are nice to have but to use a Thanksgiving Day metaphor, are merely gravy.

Anyway, though it's only Monday, Happy Thanksgiving, y'all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

H - I agree, Thanksgiving is the best holiday of the year. Eating and watching the Detroit Lions lose--there's nothing like it.

My favorite part--cooking a turkey. There's something cathartic about stuffing all of the emotional crap you've dealt with during the year and then roasting the crap out of it for five hours in a 375 degree oven. And THEN letting other people eat it's succulent meat, seasoned with sage and rosemary.

There's also something about sweet potatoes... and that something is deLICSious.

I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

wish we could be out there with you again this year, last year was a blast. Enjoy the second annualcajun cookoff

Anonymous said...

you said it brother...i mean son.gs