Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Way To Go, Nana

My Number One Mother in Law finished her radiation treatments today for breast cancer and I wanted to give her a public shout out (hope you don't mind, Nana!).

It's been a very tough eight weeks for her; on top of everything else, she got the shingles not once, but twice. But she's a super tough lady who's as stoical as they come. She didn't complain once, didn't let it slow her down (she went to Europe less than one month after her diagnosis) and she continued in her inimitable style to put family first. Congrats Nana and may this forever behind you. We are all very proud of you. And may no one else in this family ever become a member of our little club, eh?

Many of you who read this pages know Nana (aka Ann Silk) and many of you don't, but how about y'all give her a little love and leave an "atta girl" in the comments section. I would appreciate it and I know she would too.

On the topic of cancer, I just a few moments got back from my weekly track workout. It was one of those days when I was really just feeling it and I felt like I was eighteen years old again. As I was coming through my last quarter mile interval, I couldn't help to think how a mere seven months ago I was completely levelled -- I am not at all exaggerating when I tell you that I could barely make it one lap around the block. I am not saying this to brag at all, but there's a lesson here for all of us: if/when the chips are down (and I of course hope this never happens to any of you) don't ever give up hope: with a little hard work and perserverance you will come back BIGGER, STRONGER FASTER, BETTER (that's a nod to Daft Punk -- and Kanye West too I guess -- which I was just listening to on my ipod).

And on that note, for you runners out there or anyone who's into the gym, go to itunes NOW and download Daft Punk Live 2007 and ask questions later. if you don't like it, I will refund the $11.99 (but you will have to submit a 500 word essay on why you don't like it).

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

Anne! way to go! that is awesome! hope you have a restful and healing Thanksgiving! while this one might be hard, all the rest will be even sweeter because you'll know you finished this right now. and every year that is better than this year will bitter sweet when you give thanks for your life and your good health.

Crazymamaof6 said...

Howard! that is awesome you are doing so great now! i know how it is to look back and see how hard this kicked your can, and to be so thankful that #1 you don't feel that crappy anymore, and #2 hopefully this is behind you forever and you can continue to rock on in life and you know how bad it was and everything else is a million times better now. this year will be a fabulous holiday , and i am thankful for the perspective i have gained. not that it was fun , but that anything is better than last year when I was hypo for the holidays. hope you have a fabulous thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Mom, we can't thank you enough for everything you do for us. We all love you very much.
P

Anonymous said...

did anyone doubt that she would get thru this with class, humor and grace? gerald and ida