Thursday, April 17, 2008

Andy and Lisa Potts

I opened the sports section today and was delighted to discover a (rare) article on the sport of triathlon. It was a feature story on Andy Potts, who's one of my favorite triathletes, for no other reason than he's a fellow University of Michigan alumn. So I am reading this article, which is linked right here, (if you have a moment, it's a great read) and I am stunned to discover that his wife, Lisa, a former UM gymnast, is recovering from a fairly serious bout of thyroid cancer.

Wow.

I am always amazed when I read stories such as this that involve thyroid cancer; it's like we share a common bond. Though as noted, I'm a big Andy Potts fan and I am going to be pulling hard for him to make the US Olympic team this weekend at the trials, I must confess that I'm rooting harder for his wife.

Anyway, I decided to reach out to him; following is the letter I sent. Sure interested to see if he responds.

Regardless and as stated in my letter: Go, Andy, Go. And you too, Lisa.


Hi Andy:

My name is Howard Solomon and I just discovered after reading the New York Times article today that you and I have a lot in common:

1. We both went to the University of Michigan (class of 88)

2. We are both triathletes (of course you are world class, whereas I suck)

3. We have both been touched by thyroid cancer. I was diagnosed in 2006 and my version was very similar to your wife’s (although my mets mysteriously ended in my HIP of all places, versus my lungs. Beyond that: very similar – and I too continue to struggle with my synthroid).

I had my thyroid removed and 90 days later finished Vineman half ironman Ironically enough, it was the slowest performance of my life, but perhaps my most rewarding. If nothing else, we thyroid cancer people are tough, as I am sure you have learned from your wife!

I’ve always been a fan of yours and now I’m one even bigger one. I will be rooting for you this weekend but I’m also rooting for your wife. If she is interested, she can take a look at my blog at www.iamacancerman .com.

It’s partially related to my kids; partially related to my travails with cancer and partially related to endurance sports.


Anyway,


Go Andy Potts!

Go Lisa Potts!

Go Blue!

Best,

-howard solomon

3 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

that is awesome you stepped up and reached out. i feel that instant bond too with other thyca people . and always want to here their story.

way to go on that. even if you don't get a response I'm sure he appreciates the gesture. and how cool would that be if he did respond?!

VERY COOL INDEED!

Anonymous said...

great letter. I'm sure he's touched by your good words.

- Neil

yanmaneee said...

nike kd 11
hermes handbags
hermes belt
balenciaga
timberland boots
yeezy boost 350 v2
moncler jackets
off white shoes
nike react
hogan outlet online