Sunday, April 20, 2008

Two Year Mark

Yesterday marked the two year anniversary of the day of my diagnosis. To mark this inauspicious occasion, I ran 13 miles on trails.

Take that, cancer.

On the topic, prior to The Boy's baseball game (he went 5-5, and is really coming along nicely), the coaches passed out a baseball for all the kids to sign, and handed out blue bands to all the kids and coaches marked "Homeruns and Hope."
Evidently, there's a little second grader in town who's pretty sick with cancer. I don't know him but my heart goes out to him and his family.

Although I am a huge Lance fan I have never once worn a yellow Livestrong band. Nothing even remotely against them, but I've never been one to run with the "in" thing and they have become a little too ubiquitous for my personal taste. Instead, I opt to wear Livestrong sunglasses, but that's a story for another day.

Ironic that I was given this band on my second anniversary. It's a punch-in-the-gut reminder that while I might be doing fine, I/we can't forget that there's a whole lot of people out there who aren't.

Funny, when I put this band on it felt just right. I think I'll wear it for a while in honor of this little fellow, who's deeply in my thoughts.

Livestrong, little man. We're all pulling for you.

1 comment:

Crazymamaof6 said...

congrats on your 2 years! that's AWESOME!
wow poor kid!! cancer is hard enough for a grown up but cancer for kids is super scary, more from a parents perspective. kids that have cancer seem to handle it so well. i think alot of people can take a lesson from them. way to go sporting the band. I've never been a livestrong kinda gal either. and i actually purchased the thyca bands once but seriously it lacked the flair i seek in an accessory.i gave them to my kids to play with. i still find one once in a while. but i'm not one to wear my diagnosis on my wrist either.I was keeping my cancer on the down low.