Monday, April 14, 2008

Doctor Appointment

Saw my endo today; I really dig this dude. He's a bit crotchety, but in a fun and humorous way (he's South African and has a very dry wit) and he's very, very methodical. I am a big fan.

Anyway, as my ultrasound and bloodwork indicated, everything is looking good. The gameplan from hereon is pretty simply: another round of bloodwork/ultrasound, only this time in six months opposed to three, and then next April (of 09) I will be given a (relatively) experimental drug, thyrogen, which duplicated the effects of going hypo, only without having to go off meds. The thyrogen is very expensive and I will receive multiple shots over the course of week, but if I don't have to go hypo again, then it's worth every penny. Presuming that everything is clear -- and at this stage I have every reason to believe that will be the case -- I will be good to go.

So, good news.

Compared to where I was about a year ago -- in the midst of hypo hell and then the bad scan on my birthday last April 30th, I feel very, very fortunate. It's amazing how much one's fortunes can change in a year.

Anyway, I say that all followed by a big knock on wood.....