Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Birthday

Another year, another birthday. At 42 there ain't a whole hell of a lot to celebrate. I have to say though that this year was orders of magnitude better than last year. Last year, as many of you know, I made the humonguous mistake of arranging or a big CT scan on my birthday, and the results were not what I was anticipating or hoping for. Suffice to say, the rest of the day flat out sucked. BUt alas, that's all in the past. Birthday highlights this year included:

-- wake up from the kids who made handwritten cards (the girl, anyway. Evidently The Boy has been "too busy" at school)
-- birthday wishes all day long from all my friends; big thanks to y'all
-- terrific gifts from the Wife, including a lovely (I didn't just say "lovely" did I?) shirt and Armani jacket and a pair of killer Reef sandals
-- a terrific lunch with a client
-- a surprise visit at work from The Wife and Kids, who joined my office for cake
-- an amazing gift from my co-workers; a portable GPS unit, because they all marvel how often I get lost when driving (I have the worst sense of direction ever). VERY thoughtful of them and greatly appreciated.
-- a nice trail run when I got home
-- pizza and cupcake with the kids
-- an epic meltdown -- I mean EPIC -- from The Girl that I am trying to erase from my memory bank
-- a great glass of Oban Scotch, which I am enjoyin as I type
-- American Idol, followed immediately by Boston Legal in its new night.

All in all, meltdown aside, a near perfect day!

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

WOW sounds like your birthday was FABULOUS! aside from the meltdown. BUT STILL! hope you have a great year!

quirken said...

How:

Happy birthday again. You are old.

Funny how different parents can understand the concept of a meltdown, and almost picture the exact scenario unfolding. That is the exact terminology that we use in our house when one of the girls gets into the zone.

We parents also sing the meltdown theme song, "Danger Zone" by Clor whenever we see one approaching.

Sample lyrics:

"Watch out, you're entering the danger zone."

Anonymous said...

When most of us think of birthdays it is (I'm another year older, ugh!)

Let's just be happy we got to this birthday. Maybe we should just take a minute and think of how lucky we are to be here on this special day with the ones who really love us. Meltdowns do happen....

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday!! Sounds like a great day! It's great for us to hear you having a wonderful birthday! 2 SGs