Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Numbers

The leitmotif of the day definitely seems to be numbers. A sampling:

10: Number of consecutive years I have not been accepted to the Hawaii Ironman via the lottery. I've grown accustomed to my fate and will probably continue my false hope for ten more years. You would have though though, that they would have the courtesy of sending me *something* to mark this momentous occasion. A ironman mug or something. The truth of the matter is I don't really have the time in my life right now to do the requisite (nor, frankly, the inclination, though I suspect this could change) amount of training, and should I get selected, it probably would be better in 10 years or so when the kids are off doing their own thing. But still -- would be nice to at least have the option.

6: Number of freaking wild turkeys I saw during my run this evening. What is it with wild turkeys? Up until a few weeks ago I've never seen a single one; now I feel like they are overtaking the planet.

50: Distance race I realized I am supposed to run in less than a month. I recognized a few weeks ago that I haven't nearly put in the training required for a race this long, so I emailed the race director today asking if I could instead do the "easier" version: the 50k (31 miles, which isn't exactly easy). Apologies for that Payro, if you are reading this. As noted above, finding the time is proving difficult these days. I also noted that the race, which is in Wisconsin, is over Mother's Day. The Wife isn't going to let me forget this one.

61: Years ago today that Jackie Robinson broke into the big leagues. Here's to you, Mr. Robinson: an American hero forever.

On the subject, the father of one of The Boy's sons called this am and asked if he could take the Little Boy out of school early to a Giant's game. This gave me pause because in a million years, my father NEVER would have allowed such a thing (right dad -- and don't you dare say otherwise!) but I decided to let him go, especially considering that there was a special celebration for Jackie R. Anyway, if you ever want to STOKE -- and I mean STOKE a little boy, tell him he gets to a. get out of school early with b. his friends to c. got to e big league baseball game. We made him write a report about the day and I also mae him sign a contract promising to be good and go to bed on time all week.

No joke, but we'll see how long that lasts.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

awesome he gets to go to the GAME!
funny on the wild turkeys.

bummer on ironman Hawaii! WHY didn't you do AZ? just wondering .
And wow that sucks your race is on mothers day. my husband would be on my crap list for a while for that. hint-FABULOUS GIFTS AHEAD OF TIME! plan ahead, thoughtful! pampering? expensive! whatever your wife is into, get on that. and save yourself some grief. maybe your wife is nicer than me but man i wouldn't risk that. just do it. play it safe!

Anonymous said...

i don,t think i would allow you to take off early from work now to go to a Giant game.gs