Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Big Question

Ok, here's the big question of the day: who do y'all like in American Idol?

Before we get into this, please: spare me the anti-AI diatribes. I know there's that camp out there (and now I am specifically talking to you, Payro. Probably you too Wiley. And certainly Zolla as well) that view AI as an impending sign that the apocolypse is upon us, but I believe that deep down, in your heart of hearts, you all are secret fans who anxiously look forward to Tuesday nights.

And if you're not fans, well, I strongly recommend that you embrace the Dark Side my friends, because it's the most eminently watchable show of all-time (Damn. Did I really just type those words? What's become of me? Radiation on the brain perhaps?).

Anyway, on to the show.

I think Melinda should win, based on her talent alone. There's no question that she's in an entirely different league vocally; there's no one even close. But, it's called American Idol for a reason and I think in the end her personality, or lack thereof, is going to do her in. I predict she gets the boot tomorrow.

Blake had a good stretch for a few weeks there, but I think his beatboxing is getting a bit tired (though he absolutely KILLED on Bon Jovi night). It will be very interesting to see what tact he takes tonight. He's pretty creative and good at digging himself out of holes. April loves him (I think literally); she sees him as Justin Timberlake-lite, and since my wife seems to really identify with the 15 year old teenybopper mentality, I respect her opinion when it comes to AI.

Which brings us to Jordin. I'm thinking that short of a complete meltdown tonight, she's gonna take it. While she can't compare to Melinda vocally, or Blake's personality, I think she has a whole different set of intangibles working in her favor and I think youth is on her side.

She'll win the Sanjaya audience (short of the approximately 6,000,000 or so Howard Stern fans who voted for him. By the way, I'm planning a post this week exclusively dedicated to Howard Stern) which comprises a big audience.

So, there you have it. One man's opinion. So - inquiring minds need to know - what's your take?

(Did I really just write a whole diatribe on American Idol? Damn. I think I just lost a bit of respect for myself)

15 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

I'm in for Jordan! She's from AZ and so am I . I haven't even watched though. just in for the girl from my state!

Anonymous said...

Dude,

Currently, I do not control the television in my house. Dylan loves AI. I decided to wait until she is in kindergarten before I begin to steep her in cultural elitism.

Melinda should win.

Anonymous said...

To bring a bit of science and financial markets to AI, I've been following a site that sells futures contracts on AI. Here's what the market predicts:
Blake is currently the hands down favorite to go home tonight with odds of about a 66%. He is followed by Jordin who the market thinks has about a 26% chance of being sent home. Melinda seems safe with only a 4% chance.

Having said that, both Melinda and Jordin have roughly the same odds for winning the whole thing at 45% and 46% respectively. Blake is only at 11% to take home the title.

To make matters worse for Blake, dialidol.com, which measures busy signals logged by their software shows that Blake logged the fewest number of busy signals last night.

Sorry Blake, looks like you’re going home tonight.

My personal opinion is that Blake is far and away the best performer and Melinda cannot be touched by the other two when it comes to talent and pure vocal ability. That all said, this is a popularity contest and I think that Jordin may walk away with it all in the end.

Anonymous said...

i just wish kelly pickler was still on the show.

Howard Solomon said...

Todd, what's that web site? I think they have it right. Everyone definitely brought their A game last night, but once again Melinda rose to the top. Jordin will get the "boppers" vote which leaves Blake out in the cold. He shouldn't fear though -- much like Chris Daughtry, without question he will end up selling the most records.

Anonymous said...

http://www.intrade.com/

Go to MARKETS at the top of the screen and then ENTERTAINMENT -> AMERICAN IDOL on the left-hand nav.

Anonymous said...

Yes, this does augur the end of days, but as we're going down anyway...

Amazingly too close to call (dialidol.com is within the margin of error Todd) and I think the producers are pulling a fast one by playing the music and background singers too loudly and drowning out the contestants.

Or am I just getting old?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I can't believe you wrote a whole post about AI either. And you're right, I live for Tuesday night to watch AI on my imaginary TV.

You are redonk. Obvs. BTW, Justin Guarini says toodles.

Anonymous said...

How could I have missed this - Toddy, you are "bringing a bit of science and financial markets to AI"? Your (two!) comments are almost as long as Nut's original post. crikey.

Anonymous said...

my goodness a post on american idol. uh, do you think ryan seacrest is hot? this time could have certainly been used for better topics - like your upcoming howard stern entry. i did not hear the roast today - was it funny?

Anonymous said...

Neil, you really don't watch Idol? Dude -- you don';t know what you are missing. What I didn't mention, though, is that I like Rock Star Supernova even more than AI. In re: the Andy Dick roast, i listened to about half. It was off the charts funny, though Benji absolutely bombed. They were giving him ceaseless crap about that......

Anonymous said...

with all of this tv talk i have to say God bless the DVR! i hate to say it is life-changing b/c it is just tv afterall, but it is a very impactful technology

Anonymous said...

Rock Star Supernova!!! I thought I was the only fan of that show. We watch AI in our household--great show to enjoy with the kids--but loved Supernova. Howie, I knew I loved you for a reason...

Anonymous said...

Scooter: if they bring back Rock Star Supernova -- and let's pray they do -- I intend to live blog most episodes!

Anonymous said...

toddie - you've got to shit me with this science crap for ai.

bring back william hung ---- she bangs she bangs