Friday, May 11, 2007

One year ago today......

Today marks the one year anniversary of my thyroid gland being unceremoniously removed from the only home it ever knew. Hope you're doing ok, wherever you might be, ole thyroid gland.

Leads me to wonder - where do you think it might currently reside? One would presume -- the garbage? Kind of sad, if so.

WIth the exception of the first 24 hours after surgery, which as Dave, Steve-O and April could tell you *really* sucked -- surgery wasn't as bad as I anticipated. I went in on early Thursday morning, came home Friday, and was back in the office on Tuesday. And the "best" part was there really was little to no pain. The worst part was getting the anesthesia out of my system, along with the general recovery time that comes from three plus hours of surgery. That too knocked me out of training, especially swimming wise (kind of hard to rotate your neck after neck surgery). I don't think I was able to swim for about 45 days post surgery. Don't ask me how I was ever able to finish the swim at Vineman, which was less than 90 days outside of surgery.

I don't relish the prospect of more surgery, but that's not what really bugs me. What's irritating as hell is the fact that today, for all intents and purposes, marks my one year anniversary (April 19th, though, is my "diagnosis day) of this ordeal and there's not a clear cut end in site. Best case scenario, I get marked clear in about 12-14 months.

Oh well, to use a horrendous cliche, no use crying over spilt milk. It is what it is.

Anyway, on a more positive note, it was actually a pretty darn good week, especially work-wise. And while I'm still getting my strength back, and am tiring easy I feel better each day and am just thrilled to be working out again, even if I'm huffing and puffing at a mere 170 watts on the bike (which is pretty lame).

There's also lots to look forward to this weekend: my new favorite baseball team of all time, The Colts (Z Dogs team) play in the afternoon. Pictures to follow. Sunday we're hiking up Mount Tam to a kick ass pancake breakfast at the Mountain Home Inn. It's one of our favorite things to do in Marin. In five minutes I'm going to have a Wisconsin brat with my main man Jim Hughes. And in the morning -- I hit the trails.

Life is good.

Word.

2 comments:

jenny said...

Howard,

Thanks for allowing us into your world!!! In the last year, both my mom and brother in law (Raymond) were diagnosed with Cancer. Unfortunately, we search for answers like "Why", but the truth is there are no clear reasons. Wasn't being active, eating well, and staying in shape your ticket to a cancer-free life?? Apparently not. My mom who just finished chemo and radiation is so touched by your blog and only wishes she had the ability to put her experience into eloquent paragraphs, that are both humorous and sentimental. Keep blogging and inspiring us all to "livestrong"

Best, Jenny and Mike

Howard Solomon said...

Jenny F!! Good to see you here. I think your mom underestimates herself. Have her email me at howard.solomon@gmail.com and I'll talk to her about guest blogging. Hope all is well -- you guys need to come visit us in Cali.