Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Scan Day


Well, no news to report yet. Will let you all know when the results are in; I expect it to be some time before the end of the week.

I must say that today was pretty trippy. I got to the hospital, which was in Novato, about a half hour drive from our house, very early. I checked in and then they walked me to radiology --- which was located in their parking lot. Literally. It was a mobile PET scan as you'll note from the photo. Weirdest damn thing that I have ever experienced. That said, it was kind of different and borderline cool. My father-in-law told me these mobile devices are pretty common; they move back-and-forth between local area community hospitals. Plus the technician really seemed to know her stuff -- and by now, I know a thing or two about technicians. She explained that the test is designed to capture any "high metabolic anamolies" (read: cancer) and interestingly, she told me that the test would pick up ANY type of cancer, even non-thyroid. So, if I get a "clean" scan -- and keep your fingers that I do -- it really will be clean as they literally scanned my entire body, head to toe.

The scan/my morning started in a lovely fashion with the administration of an IV dose of radioactive saline. After the IV was inserted, I had to sit in a reclined position for about 45 minutes until the radiation was "fully absorbed" -- whatever in the hell that means. I wasn't allowed to read, or play with my Blackberry. Just had to sit as still as can be, which as many of you probably know is the hardest thing in the world for a hyperactive lunatic like me. The tech was listening to me/watching me fidget for about two minutes before blurting out "You're kind of high strung, aren't you." I then proceeded to lecture her on the difference between "high strung" and "high enery." In all likelihood, I'm probably a combination of both. Either way, I'm sure she wasn't too sorry to say goodbye to me after two hours.

Anyway, after I was "fully absorbed" they proceeded to put me in the "canister", which is where I had to sit for 45 more minutes, with my arms extended above my head, while the PET scan did its thing. Doesn't sound too difficult, but it's actually a pain in the ass.

I must say that "scan days" are a bit disconcerting. You have to sit their in these massive medical devices, where the top of the unit is about one millimeter from your nose and not to sound like a baby, but I can't help but feel a tad bit sorry for myself. Not "Oh woe is me I have cancer" sorry, but more like "what in the hell am I freaking doing in a place like this? I'm 41 and fit -- how in the world is it that I'm sitting in this damn device? I should be out for a run or something." Anyway, enough bellyaching.

And that was about it. After the scan they opened the door, and I walked about two feet to my car.

California, baby. Straight up weird.

4 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

ok i am glad it wasn't Just me with the arms above my head! and the laying still , ugh! I totally did not expect the whole laying still and waiting for it to absorb. and be sure to request copies of the reports and the films for future reference. Hope all is well with your scan, mine came back clear. My DR. told me this supersedes a Radioactive iodine whole body scan.

Anonymous said...

fingers crossed for you my man. also, sorry for the drunken call the other night, but know that every word i said was true as true can be.

quirken said...

here is a prayer that the scan comes back clean. I have all the best hopes and I guarantee I won't call you drunk any time soon. Especially on a Tuesday.

Howard Solomon said...

Nick and Michael:

Despite that lost laptop back in '98 (or so it seems), you are both great guys. Thanks for the thoughts.