Monday, May 21, 2007

Jack Bauer Jumps the Shark and Other Cultural Musings

Thus concludes the worst season, by far, of 24. Clearly, this was the season where the well finally ran dry. It finally became formulaic, predictable and worst, uninteresting. If you think about it, it was kind of inevitable. I understand Jack signed up for two more seasons; if they are going to hold on to their core audience, they are going to have to break the show down completely. Consider me brand loyal and I'm willing to forgive them this trespass, but next season they have exactly three episodes to convince me; otherwise, I'm letting go. It would probably be in my best interest to let go of a show or two anyway.

_____________________________________________________________________________

What did you all think of the Soprano's last night? At first, I was disappointed in the lack of "action" but upon contemplation, It was a pretty darn good episode. The scenes with AJ were a little overwrought, but powerful nonetheless. I think AJ is getting a tad too much of this season's storyline. The scene with Tony and Phil's guy; well, that was just vintage Tony. There's no better TV than Tony unleashing his fury.

And so, it likely will all come down to Tony vs. Phil, mano e mano. I think in the next episode we'll see a failed assasination attempt on Tony and ensuing warefare between the NJ and NYC families. In the end, however, I think Tony prevails; I simply don't think HBO can afford to kill him off.
_____________________________________________________________________________

In regards to Entourage, well, what can I really say, other than the show is just the best. I think in the end Medellin will be a monster hit in the spirit of Scarface and next season VInce will be bigger in Hollywood than Leo. Doesn't really matter what happens though; so long as those four boys remain together, the show will always be (Ari) Gold.
_____________________________________________________________________________

Big night tomorrow on AI. I still maintain that the fix is in and Jordin will walk away the winner. I like this kid Blake, not so much musically - I think he's a marginal singer at best - but because he's really willing to hang it out there and take risks. Gotta respect the fact that he's daring. I think he'll recognize his back is against the wall and will come out with some interesting song selections, while Jordin will play it safe and stick to her R&B thing. Let's hear your predictions.
____________________________________________________________________________

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Liza and I sat incredulously as we watched the season finale of 24 last night. The plot line, acting, script, everything is just absolutely pathetic (comical really). The only two saving graces were the fact that we DVR’d it so we didn’t waste a full 2 hours and we managed to entertain ourselves making fun of Jack and the rest of that pathetic cast. I’m so done with 24.

As for AI, the market predicts Jordin has a 75% of taking home the big prize, but given last week’s Melinda upset (IMHO), who knows. I think Idol has finally jumped and it’s time for it to retire while still on top.

Anonymous said...

9PM Mondays just became too busy in the Greedo household with 24, Heroes, Dancing with the Stars and our own ballroom lessons all taking place at the same time.

TiVo couldn't keep up.

Something had to give, and as soon as they brought back Charles Blogan, I stopped downloading 24.

We're confident in our decision because Heroes has paid off in dividends. And Dancing, well kept us dancing.

Very eager for Lost finale, mostly because somehow instead of dying Charlie has discovered a secret, underwater base of mega-hot chicks, which in my book, is always a recipe for awesome.

Anonymous said...

i haven't watched the 24 season finale yet, but my hopes are not high.

as for the sopranos, i didn't think i'd ever get to see another "bite the curb" moment a la american history x, but tony proved me wrong.

is it me, or is meadow hot? clue: it's not just me.

Anonymous said...

As a new 24 fan I agree that this season is not as good as the first three (still working my way up to the present) but I enjoyed it nonetheless. The ending was lame, though. His father deserved a bullet (although what's the chance he was able to save himself for next season?).

My vote for most ammusing scene this season that still makes me chuckle: In the final episode, after Jack basically spends 24 straight hours disobeying every order and suggestion, he is told (I paraphrase):

CTU: "Your nephew is on the oil rig, its going to be blown up in 20 minutes and he is going to die a horrible death by burning and drowning, but we need you back at CTU to debrief. So, hop on that chopper and come back. OK?"

Jack: "Sure!"

Yeah, right. ;-)

quirken said...

24 = horrible

phillip bauer = got away on small boat/bullet proof vest/with subcircuit board

subcircuit board = when did all these bastards become experts on circuitry?

ctu security systems = eminently hackable (once per season, I think)

next year's romance = VP noah and either karen hayes or chad lowe, tom's ass't who tried to assissinate the prez (you vote: which is grosser?)

best quote = when jack and nadia just finished wrestling with terror cell and the following ensued:
jack: "they've got my nephew. I need to go (sic) save him"
nadia: "but jack, you are still under arrest"

fastest love affair = nadia falls for mike doyle by 3:00 a.m after he almost choked her out at 10:00 p.m.

highest hopes for good finale = lost