Thursday, May 17, 2007

L'affair de Landis and Other Thoughts

Man oh man, did the Floyd Landis WADA hearing get full on WEIRD today. Just when you thought things could not get worse for Floyd (or US cycling for that matter), along comes this story. I can't even do justice to what transpired today; it's just too bizarre. I'm having a dificult time linking, but check it out at http://www.velonews.com/news/fea/12271.0.htm. Even if you are not a cycling fan, it's a worthwhile read. Trust me on this one.

All I can say is man, has Floyd (and most especially his manager, who has to go down as the biggest moron in the history of sports) dug himself in a deep hole. I hate to say this because I like Floyd, I respect him as a rider, and I will always maintain that Stage 16 last year was one of the most epic stages in the history of the tour, regardless of whether he doped or not.

All that being said, it pains me to say this but in my humble opinion, having followed this story carefully for the past year and looking at the evidence as it has been presented, I think he's guilty and I think it's time this charade comes to an end. Go gently into the good night, Floyd and we'll see you in two years. I, for one, will be rooting for you when you come out the other side.

Enough on this for now; I could go on ad nauseum on this subject, but I think I'd put y'all to sleep in fairly quick order.
_______________________________________________________________________________

On the subject of cycling, I came home the other day and Z-Dog announced to me that he had to do a book report (his first!) for homework. He then told me he had selected a Lance Armstrong bio for kids that I purchased for him years ago. Naturally, I was pretty stoked. I asked him why, of all books, he selected the Lance bio. I thought maybe he'd talk about his 7 tour wins, the fact that he's the best cyclist ever - you know, things I've been telling him since he was one. His response -- and April is my witness-- "Because dad, Lance does lots of really nice things for people with cancer."

Naturally, I was pretty blown away. But what came next was really incredible. He looked me right in the eye and said " You know dad, I know mom had cancer and you do too. But it's ok. You are going to be alright."

So, the little man knows. And then we talked about it for a short while. And he couldn't be more correct. I am indeed going to be alright.
______________________________________________________________________________

Season finale of The Office ruled but that's par for the course. Without question, it's the best show on TV. More on this, and the impending season finale of 24, soon.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pink might be down for the count. He's the dopiest doper ever. And what was his now ex-manager thinking calling LeMond? ??? ????

If you get a chance, also read the posting Pink made about LeMond. Copies of it are still on the web, but the original posting has been taken down. In light of the testimony today, just unbelievable stuff.

On to more important things:
Go Zevan.

Howard Solomon said...

You're loving this aren;t you, Kid? Face it -- you never liked FLoyd. That said, you're right and his comments about Lemond are off-the-charts stupid. BTW, Lemond has a place in Marin from what I understand, though I am still not much of a fan.

Anonymous said...

Re: the office -- it's about damn time. the last scene with pam and jim made it all worth the wait. let's just hope jenna fischer recovers from her broken back and that ryan has mercy on michael next season when he's his boss.

Anonymous said...

You're right, I think Floyd is full o' crunk. When I first heard this story I though LeMond was making stuff up. But Pink's ex manager just issued a statement of apology, so it's all true. Which makes LeMond's other testimony look more credible.

Having said all that, I'm not sure the whole incident will matter much in the arbitration, where the focus should correctly be on the testing. Where Pink is also getting hammered. He's like the OJ of the dopers - just try to raise enough doubt to avoid the conviction. But there is no "beyond a reasonable doubt" bar that the USADA has to hit. It's Pink who has the onus to prove them corrupt, and he's failing.

It's not fun to see the guy get hammered, but I want to see the truth come out, and I'm certain he's been lying.

BTW, I'm no fan of LeMond either.

Anonymous said...

The Floyd trial is playing out like a bad ep of Boston Legal, or Ally McBeal, except with no midgets.

And that's really unfortunate.

Although, listening to Tom Goldman on NPR narrate the transcript, I find myself imagining that he is a midget, sitting in the back of the courtroom taking notes with an oversized pencil.

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you here, Greedo! Hope you stick around.

Anonymous said...

I think Landis is in deep trouble, but lets not forget that LeMond's had it out for just about everyone including Lance. All because he didn't get to win his races using carbon fiber. ;-)

Honestly, I am not sure how I feel about this year's Tour. I don't feel the excitement... I've almost had it with these guys. I mean c'mon... Basso gave blood but didn't transfuse it back? Do I sense the I-didn't-inhale "Clinton" defense being played out again?

BTW, I have watched three straight seasons of 24 in front of a computrainer this winter while also watching this one on TV. I am beginning to have dreams that mix the story lines. Very disturbing.

Howard Solomon said...

Nice Jeff. I was wondering where you were. Was getitng worried. 24 is the best and I'm going to blog on it on Sunday or Monday but without doubt, this was the worst season. They need to make big changes if they are going to kep it going

Howard Solomon said...

Nice Jeff. I was wondering where you were. Was getitng worried. 24 is the best and I'm going to blog on it on Sunday or Monday but without doubt, this was the worst season. They need to make big changes if they are going to kep it going

Anonymous said...

Learn from Zevan, we make shit complicated, he sees clearly

Landis is a jack***, i give up on cycling. not even sure I'm going to watch the tour this year (so disappointing), but look forward to riding.