Saturday, May 5, 2007

First run

Well, finally mustered up the energy for my first run in more than three weeks. Three miles. And it wiped me out. Damn.

Hard to believe that only six weeks ago I ran 31 miles at Way Too Cool (which took more than six hours). And today I could barely muster three miles. With a freaking walking break thrown in for good measure.

Double damn.

One of the most difficult aspects of this entire experience is the crimp it has thrown into my training. A reasonable person would likely say that this is the least of my problems, and to an extent I understand as much, but for a hardcore Type A athlete (I use "athlete" for lack of a more apt description), it is utterly maddening. I've essentially been reduced back to square one three separate times this past year (surgery, radiation, recent scan) and frankly, it's discouraging. This, coupled with the fact that my latest news has essentially cost me another triathlon/running season, has definitely thrown me into a bit of a funk.

All that said, I'm looking forward to tomorrow. It's a new day and I'm looking forward to hitting the pool.

No comments: