Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Random Musings #2

Today I stopped and smelled the roses.

And I'm not talking in a metaphorical, hippie dippie Northern California kind of way. I literally took time out of my day to visit three nurseries in the East Bay. It was completely business related. My mission was to learn more about the business of roses. It was a very interesting, informative day and despite the 90 degree weather, I enjoyed it immensely. And to things off, they really do smell quite nice.

Y'all thought for a second I was getting all deep and heavy, didn't you? Not tonight. I don't have the head for it.
________________

Big question on my mind these days: what's the deal with Soprano's? More specifically: when in the world is Tony finally going to whack someone? Or get whacked himself? And when is this season going to finally pick up some steam? I'm all about character development, but holy cow have these last two seasons plodded along. Four episodes left, HBO. Left's get things moving, people.

Survey (hey Jeff S -- how can I add a *real* survey to this site? Where is old OpinionWare when I finally need it?) time. Which of the following scenarios do you think are most likely?

o Tony wacks Christopher
o Christopher wacks Tony
o Christopher wacks Paulie
o Paulie wacks Christopher
o Tony wacks 'em all

--------------

As many of you know, I am an avid cycling fan. And I must say, events of the past few days - L'affaire de Basso - have left me dumfounded. For all you non-fans, here's the quick summation:

Ivan Basso is one of the brightest stars in cycling. He took second to Lance in 2005 and won last year's Giro (one of the "Big Three" races, along with the Tour de France and the Vuelta). Last year he got caught up in Operation Puerto, which was basically a doping sting operation. He was barred from participating in last year's Tour. He vehemently denied the allegations but was ultimately dropped by his team, CSC. He was never formally charged and signed by Team Discovery, Lance's former team. It should be noted that he and Lance are close personal friends. It should also be noted that I was really, really stoked about this move as I love Basso as a rider and thought he was the odds on favorite to win this year's Tour.

Anyway, two weeks ago, out of nowhere and weeks before he's supposed to defend his Giro title, Basso quits Discovery. Yesterday he announces that he's essentially guilty and that he's going to come clean and cooperate with Spanish authorities. And I thought it was one of the greatest days in sports. Finally, a top tier athlete manning up and proactively taking responsibility for his actions. Bring it, Ivan.

And then today he comes out and states that he never actually doped, but rather intended to dope. WTF? Intended to dope? Huh? Come on man, if you are going to come clean, come freaking clean. And let's give you the benefit of the doubt and say it's true --why? You're the best rider on the planet -- really, I dont think anyone would have close to touching you, you KNOW you're constantly be tested and yet for some reason you "intended" to dope anyway.

I try to have faith in my fellow man. I really do. I believe man is findamentally good. But at the same time, good lord, sometimes man is also so freaking stupid.

Regardless, best of luck to you, Ivan. May your two year ban pass quickly. Good for you for manning up to some degree, I guess. I still maintain you'll one day be wearing Yellow in Paris.
_____________

Well, today the cat is ot of the bag; I've *officially* begun to debut this blog to you, my adoring public (of about 12, I might add, according to my little counter thingie). Anyway, I hope you like what you see so far. I encourage you to leave comments,
e-mail with feedback, etc. Thanks again for visiting.

(Ps. Ran 3.5 miles tonight, which is exactly .5 miles longr than my first run. Felt pretty good, too. The synthroid is definitely kicking back in and I'm feeling better each day. The old adage really is true: progress is measured in baby steps)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

my outside theory in the sopranos is that aj actually kills his father in a fit of rage. it's a longshot, but the whole season -- if not the entire series - have been about parents and children and what is passed down through either nature or nurture. tony tried to kill his mom - why not think aj will complete this desire. the more predictible answer though, is tony and christopher finally having it out . again though, the father/son (albeit surrogate) theme is prevalent here.

Anonymous said...

interesting call about aj nielie. i think aj is going to kill one of the kids tony encouraged him to hang out with. the series will end with tony smoking a cigar, contemplating how phil leotardo inadvertently saved tony's life by killing christopher just before christopher kills tony.

Unknown said...

Hmmmm, i like scott's theory.

But, the whole trading desk here is going to come after you scott if you are right.

Anonymous said...

my sopranos prediction: christopher announces to the new jersey authorities that he never doped, but rather, intended to dope.

i mean he had pretty good aim for a drunk guy, didn't he?

seriously, though, some of these main guys need to start getting wackified. i don't think christopher, paulie or AJ are long for this world...

also, where's my favorite bald cook and yours been? i think his name was artie if i remember correctly...