Friday, May 4, 2007

Random Musings and Shout Outs

I soft sounded this blog with three good friends, Jeff, Dave and Michael (thanks again, Michael, for the design assist) and all three strongly encouraged me to keep this moving forward. Dave and Jeff both made the very fair point, however, that the title CancerMan might be a bit off-putting to fellow survivors. Independently, they both suggested I rethink a title that's a bit more inspirational (in the spirit of LiveStrong). Because I tremendously value their opinion, I will indeed give it more thought. But for right now, I'm going to stick with it; I've slept on it or a few days, and for me, personally, it still resonates.

Once again, for those of you who haven't yet read my first post, the title is designed to be a play off of "Ironman". Knowing the World Triathlon Corp, it's just a matter of time before they send me a cease and desist. More on them in another post, btw; I've got a major bone to pick with them in regards to their lottery process for Hawaii Ironman.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Before I get too far along with this thing, there's a very large group of people that I want to thank publicly. As I stated in a recent group email, there HAS been an upside to this entire experience, in that it has reaffirmed my faith in humanity. Friends new and old have come out fo the woodwork, and it's been amazing to be on the receiving end of so much caring.

As many of you know, we're relatively new to the Bay Area, having moved just about eighteen months ago. Going through an experience such as this, with zero family inside three thousand miles, makes things exceedingly more difficult. And yet friends like the Hughes' have become our extended family. To all our other friends on the Mountain -- a big thank you. The same goes to all you Park School parents. The Simpson's. The Gelbach's. Lida and family. And anyone and everyone I might be forgetting.

The Michigan Boys (Dave, Steve-O, Silbo, Rob, Wiley, Diamond, Todd, Scooter) - my closest friends in the world. They've never let me down and they never will. In particular, Steve-O and Dave. You guys coming out for the surgery was something I will never forget. You actually made the scariest day of my life kind of fun. I think Dave (and/or Joni) has called me/us every single freaking day for the past twelve months. Same goes for my man Jeff Schultz too. He's my Coach, but more than that, he's my friend too -- Phil Cutti. Phil made sure my ass was up and moving and he's consistently laid out great conditioning plans that have helped speed my recovery. He also got me through Vineman -- and as promised, in one piece. Payro, as well for his friendship and for keeping me running.

To our kick-ass friends in Chicago: Marcey L, the Foremans, the Fishers, The Hughes and everyone else I'm forgetting. You have all been there for me but far more importantly, you've been there for April.

To my second family in the Second City, the Greenbaums, with a monster, super special shout out to my main man Neil-O, who is going through a situation far more difficult than mine. He is a Warrior.

My Ruder-Finn/West team, Ruder-Finn/Chicago, the entire Finn family and my unbelieveable boss, Richard Funess. There's good reason why I've worked at RF for so long -- the people are the best.

Mom and Dad, Scott and Neil, my sisters-in-law, nieces and nephews and my boy Gaga for doing what family is supposed to do and then some.

Words cannot describe how I feel about my in-laws. SImply put, and without question, we could not have gotten through this without them. My mother-in-law, Anne, probably the best and most kind-hearted person on the planet and grandmother extraordinaire. She is an angel without wings. Four roundtrips from Albany to SF to help us through this - unreal. You know there is a g-d when you go through a situation like this and your father-in-law just so happens to be a radiologist. Thanks Pablio for your medical advice (you really are a doctor!) and your friendship. Only one request: next radiation dose, leave the Geiger Counter at home. Seriously. He really bought a geiger counter. Talk about unnerving. I heard that damn thing going off from down the block.

Z-Dog and Summer Meadow: bless your little hearts for not knowing what's going on. I am so sorry for the hugs I could not give you because of daddy's "chemicals."

And lastly, my wife and My Rock, April. Fear not -- you're soon about to get your very own column. The only way I could possibly repay you is buying you your very own Four Seasons. Sadly, that ain't happening. But you've got a free lifetime pass to the one(s) of your choosing.

Everyone else I'm forgetting -- and I'm sure there are plenty of you of you -- to quote my main philosopher, Biggie Smalls, Big Ups and Much Love.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You the Un-Cancerman...! And where's the next blog? I'm so damn glad I know you...and for the record, many of the best times I've experienced here at RF involve our dealings, our work, our laughter, our comaraderie...rf