Thursday, March 13, 2008

Back in SF

FInally back in San Francisco after an absolute whirlwind 48 hours. When I go to NYC, between work and seeing family/friends, I am on the go from morning until night. I love NYC and in certain respects it will always be home, but I think I'm over it. I won't argue that it's the greatest City in the world but the New York attitude is just tiring and I think people really need to get over themselves. The thing I've learned living nearly ten years in Chicago and now two and a half in California is that there is no downside to being nice and acting like civilized human beings.

Anyway, since I just landed after nine hours of flying and have to pack for my NEXT flight tomorrow night (to Phoenix with the little boy for spring training), I'll quickly go through the highlights of this trip:

-- running in Central park, which is absolutely the best
-- seeing my 3 year old niece, who is the cutest, and her new three month old sister, who's pretty darn cute herself
-- having dinner with my mother, father and two brothers in Brooklyn. Can't remember the last time just the five of us hung out and it was very, very cool
-- being in New York during the entire Spitzer debacle. That was just awesome. When I wasn't working or doing the above, I was watching the news coverage nonstop. Not to moralize, but man is he a scumbag of epic proportions. The New York Post headlines have just been classic. I think New Yorkers will get over (former) Governor Spitzer pretty quickly

Downside to this trip:

An announcement from the pilot stating that "Ladies and gentlemen, we are having some mechanical problems with the wings of our plane. No need to be concerned but as a matter of precaution, there will be some fire trucks on the runway when we land." The plane then circled the airport for 20 minutes (we sat on the runway in NYC for an hour and half before taking off) before we landed -- whereby we were surrounded by approximately eight fire trucks. People were freaking, to put it mildly.

Good times.

More from Phoenix.

2 comments:

Crazymamaof6 said...

wow fun you got together with your family. and craziness your plane had issues.
Have fun at spring training! the weather here has been fabulous! and you've inspired me to take my boys to a spring training game sometime on spring break next week. I've lived here my whole life this close and never made the effort to go.

i hope this trip is uneventful compared to your last.

Anonymous said...

Hope you and the little man have a great time. The last time I was in Phoenix Papa took me to a spring training game and in the first inning the batter got hit in the face with a pitch ball and we waited for a very long time for the player ( last name Snow) to be attended to and the ambulance to take him to the hospital. The best part was the weather there. It was beautiful and sunny. Enjoy! Nana