Monday, March 31, 2008

Play Ball!


Just a short post as I am back in LA for the tenth freaking time this year and just swamped with work. This weekend I finally came to the realization that my life is officially turned over to my kids. I used to have a modicum of a life when they were younger, but no more.

And the funny thing? I'm ok with this. Not sure how I am going to manage training for a 100 mile run, but I am ok with it all the same.

To wit, here is what I did this weekend.

Saturday:

9 - 11:00 am -- Little league parade. This is one of my favorite days of the year, actually. All the kids congregate downtown and march to a field for opening day ceremony. Attached is a photo of The Girl, who's team was at the front of the parade. Everyone was cooing over her because she was so darn cute in her little uniform and pigtails.

11:45. Team Photo Number One.

12:30 pm: Team Photo Number Two

2:30 - 4:00: Little Boy's Game. I hate to sound like one of these bragging father-types, but I'm really proud of the Little Boy. He's been working his tail off at baseball these past 12 months and the effort is really showing. This time last year he could barely catch the ball, and now he's making all sorts of terrific plays and hitting the ball like a vet. I sat him down, told him how proud I was, and that this was an example of how he can do anything if he sets his mind to it and works hard.

Sunday:

9:00 am. Little Girl's game. Can you imagine the masochist who sets a 9:00 am game on a freaking Sunday morning? It was totally worth it though, despite a mild grade grade hangover from our little dinner party the evening before -- these five year olds were cute beyond belief.

1:00 - 3:00 pm. Boy's baseball practice. A game on Saturday and practice on Sunday. Man is this going to be a long season. However, I am an assistant coach and I am having far more fun with it than I ever anticipated. We have a terrific bunch of kids who listen to everything we say and just love the game of baseball. It's a pleasure and really, an honor, to help them along.

Of course the only kid that mouths off is my own, but that's a story for another day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gerry never would have tolerated his own kid mouthing off. that kid would have been running laps.

Anonymous said...

Little League what a treat. It won't last forever, but this is the best time to be with your kids. In a few years they won't want to even be seen with you. So enjoy those early morning meets. They are really lucky to have such a great dad.

Crazymamaof6 said...

she is darling! how fun ! and lucky kids to have dad coach. any sports season is crazy with more than one kid playing. INSANE! but worth it.