Thursday, March 6, 2008

Today's Announcement from Apple

Today was a big day for us Apple fanboy; Apple announced their "roadmap" for the iphone. I have to say that I've been totally suckered into this crazy world and I count down the days until these such announcements. I will also confess to the fact that my productivity today between 10-11 am was not at its all-time high.

There were two fundamental parts to today's announcement. The first is what I have been waiting for since literally the day I bought my iphone: Apple announced that they have signed a licensing agreement with Microsoft for ActiveSynch. this enables corporate users such as myself to connect with their company email, in the spirit of Blackberry and Windows Mobile devices such as my Motorola Q. In the world of mobility, this is ginormous: Apple just opened themselves to a massive new market; the corporate enterprise. Look for people to start abandoning their Blackberry's en masse, and evolving towards iphones.

the other announcement was also significant: the announcement of Apple's SDK (software development kit) which opens the platform to third-party developers. This is very cool and I expect we'll see some amazing applications in the not-too-distant future, but for me personally this is not nearly as big as the licensing of ActiveSynch (a move, by the wayt, which offers plusses and negatives for Microsoft).

But in inimitable Apple fashion they had a kicker at the end of the announcement: neither of these will be available until a late June timeframe. This kind fo took the winds out of my sails (along with, oh, probably three million other users as well).

I have to say I am mad about Apple's products, but boy are they vexing: there's also *some* element to all their announcements that more than just a little annoying. Nevertheless, come June I think there's going to be a lot of happy campers. Until of course, they simultaneously announce 3g iphones and piss us early adopters off even more.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

i,m so happy for you,gs

Anonymous said...

I'm finding some iPhone users being a little embarrassed by their purchase. Thoughts?

Anonymous said...

Embarrassed? In the past eight months I've never met any.

I'm a proud early iPhone adopter living in a region where fanatic Apple adoption is seen as a big, fat joke; and work at a company where everyone uses a Q and was told directly that we will NOT be supporting the iPhone.

I've never been embarrassed, and feel even more confident with my purchase. Since yesterday's announcement my agency has already decided that they will participate in the beta if Apple selects us.

nnnnatch!

Anonymous said...

Still don't get why the phone is only available on AT&T. companies that are not on AT&T are not going to shift their carriers just so employees can use the iPhone.

Howard Solomon said...

I think I understand your point Finkel. I would NOT have bough the iphone if I knew the roadmap was going to be so (relatively) slow. I would have waited for version 2.0: 3g, with enterprise enablement. Of course, I will be buying that one any way and the wife or one of my bros will get version 1.0

Anonymous said...

Oh Howard, who are you fooling. There's no way you would've not bought an iPhone.

Maybe in a bizarro, fantasy world where Dell is the only manufacturer and your credit card only works when you buy Dell stuff.

But that's IT!