Sunday, March 2, 2008

Random Things

I have likely belabored this point and my Midwestern friends are probably thinking I'm rubbing it in/being an ass, but I have to say one more time that when the Winter/Spring weather is good (read: not raining), there's nothing like NorCal. It was between 68-72 all weekend: we played baseball in shorts and t-shirts, went to the skate park, played in the park, bbqed and swam outside. It was like Summer -- only in March. I've been here over 2 1/2 years now and days like these never get old.

In other news, I made my coaching debut today and I have to say it as fun as hell. In certain respects, eight year olds are better than major leaguers: their love of the game is pure and unadulterated. It seems as if we have a terrific group of kids and they just love to play baseball. It's a very cool thing.

Switching topics, I have a few questions and am seeking some answers:

Does anyone else besides Beno have an Apple Air? If so, I would love your thoughts. I travel tons (this past week was the first time this year I went seven days without getting on a plane) and am contemplating getting one.

Same holds true for Apple TV -- anyone have one and if so, thoughts? I know it's cool -- my buddy Blake gave me a product demo last night -- but do any of you *really* use it?

Anyone have any good music recommendations? it doesn't have to necessarily be new music, either. I've been running tons (I ran 14 or 15 miles on Saturday) and am looking to for some new stuff.

Some hold true for books -- any good recommendations out there? I'm getting set to travel to NYC next week and could use a good new book.

Lastly, anyone seen the new Will Ferrell movie? If so, as good as the trailer?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

you've already heard this from me, howard, but for others:

1 - MacBook Air rules. Best mobile computer, except maybe the iPhone, ever.

2 - AppleTV, to me, is one of my top three favorite Apple products ever. Just last night I rented Michael Clayton in HD and it cost less than the video store and didn't involve me leaving my house. And that's just one tenth of ATV's power features.

3 - I'm pretty sure we've already seen that Will Ferrel movie -- it's his past three movies put into a blender. Dude needs to diversify.

4 - Due to the relative lack of new, hot music these days, I've been revisiting early albums by a few bands that never get old: Built to Spill, Oasis, Bush (yes, Bush), Wyclef, Pinback, Mates of State, to name a few.

5 - Just finished reading Middlesex, which was decently entertaining, but probably not your cup of tea, Howard, unless of course you're into recent Greek or Detroit history and hermaphrodites.

Anonymous said...

i want to get the new Richard Price book. Haven't read a review yet.

Anonymous said...

Hey, check older posts, I gave you some music tips a couple months back. I got nothing new, but will keep an eye out for other recs.

Melissa Boehning Libert said...

Book idea from Ben: Humpty Dumpty in Oakland by Philip K Dick (just published in the US) about a mechanic in Oakland who's thinking of moving to Marin in the 60's

Music/movie: Once soundtrack/movie. Glen Hansard's band The Frames