Sunday, March 23, 2008

Greetings from Seattle

We flew into Seattle on Friday night to see my father-in-law and see the sights. I've been here a million times in the past for business but most of these trips have been fast in and out.

So we woke up early yesterday and headed to Pikes Peak market for breakfast. A little touristy, but interestingly nonetheless, especially the various fishmongers. I knew the fisdhing industry was big here, but I didn't realize the full extent. After sauntering around for an hour or two, we headed to a 2.5 hour boat tour. I wasn't expecting much but it was actually quite fascinating. We got to see the entire peninsula, and our guide did a great job explaining the history/development of the area. The coupe de grace was going through the lochs that separate Pugent Sounds from the lake. I've never before been through a loch and it was pretty cool. Even the kids maintained a degree of interest in most of the tour. Afterwards, the kids went swimming and I went on an hour-long run. I've long maintained that the best way to see a foreign city is via running, and that was definitely the case in this instance. We went to a fish restaurant by the pier for dinner (the salmon here is as good as advertised btw) and found an amusement park for the kids. All in all, a highly enjoyable day.

Today Seattle is being true to form and raining, so we are headed to a museum -- Museum of Aviation, which should be interesting, possibly Boeing after if it's open and then we are going to cruise around the University of Washington.

Tomorrow I head out early for a convenient business trip not terribly far outside Seattle.

No comments: