Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Interesting Reading, Books

FInished a really interesting book this weekend, Beautiful Boy by David Sheff. I think it's the book-of-the-month at Starbucks and/or Oprah's club, but don't let that stop you from purchasing.

I can't say it is "good" simply because of the subject matter: it's the story of a father's relationship with his son, a precocious kid who becomes addicted to crystal meth. The writing and story is terrific but the story itself is beyond heart wrenching. That said, I think it's a must read for every parent. Just as interestingly, from my standpoint at least, the author/son live only a few miles from my house, and he really paints a great picture of picaresqe (West) Marin County. My hometown also makes a cameo appearance.


So far as music is concerned, I am *really* loving the Hercules and Love Affair disc. I do not even know how to begin to describe this. The best I could do is house music meets techno meets disco. Pitchfork really nailed this review and thus far, it's my favorite album of the year. It's got a very fast, continuous beat, and is perfect for running and (stationary) biking (I never, ever wear headphones while biking on the road). I suggest this one highly.

2 comments:

David Neff said...

Delighted as I am to see my name on your blog, it is not David Neff, but David Sheff, who authored "Beautiful Boy." --David Neff, editor-in-chief, Christianity Today

Anonymous said...

you gotta love an ancient future evangelical with a google alert set up for his own name.